Eric:Hi, Professor Mason, do you have a minute?
艾瑞克:嗨,馬森教授,您有時間嗎?
Pro:Yeah, of course, Eric.
教授:當然了,艾瑞克。
I think there was something I wanted to talk to you about too.
其實我也正有事情想和你談呢。
Eric:Probably my late essay.
艾瑞克:是關于我晚交論文的事吧。
Pro:Ah, that must be it.
教授:啊,原來是這么回事。
I thought maybe I’d lost it.
我以為我給弄丟了。
Eric:No, I'm sorry.
艾瑞克:不是,對不起。
Actually it was my computer that lost it, the first draft of it.
其實是我電腦上的初稿丟了。
And, well, anyway, I finally put it in your mail box yesterday.
不管怎么樣,我昨天還是放在您的郵箱里了。
Pro:Oh, I haven't checked the mail box yet today.
教授:哦,我還有沒查看我的郵箱。
Well, I'm glad it's there.
呵呵,既然已經在那就好。
I will read it this weekend.
我本周末就去看看。
Eric:Well, sorry again.
艾瑞克:再次抱歉。
Say, I can send it to you by email too if you like.
其實如果您愿意的話我也可以通過電子郵件給您發送一份。
Pro:Great. I'll be interested to see how it all comes out.
教授:太好了。我真想看看寫的如何。
Eric:Right. Now, ah, I just have overheard some graduates students talking.
艾瑞克:呵呵,那個,我剛到一些畢業生在討論,
Something about a party for De Adams?
一些關于為迪·亞當斯辦的晚會?
Pro:Retirement party, yes,
教授:退休晚會,是的。
all students are invited.
所有學生都被邀請參加。
Wasn't there notice on the Anthropology Department's bulletin board?
在人類學系的公告欄上難道沒有通知嗎?
Eric:Ah, I don't know.
艾瑞克:啊,這個我不知道。
But I want to offer help with it.
但是我想幫幫忙,
You know whatever you need.
做點什么都成。
De Adams, well, I took a few anthropology classes with her and they were great, inspiring.
我上過幾堂迪·亞當斯老師的人類學課程,簡直太好了,讓我很有啟發。
That's why I want to pitch in.
這也是我想加入的原因。
Pro:Oh, that's very thoughtful of you, Eric,
教授:噢,你真是太好了,艾瑞克。
but it will be low key, nothing flashy.
但是這次活動比較低調,不會很隆重,
That's not her style.
那些不是她的風格。
Eric:So there's nothing?
艾瑞克:那就什么都不需要準備了?
Pro:No, we'll have coffee and cookies, maybe a cake.
教授:我們會準備咖啡啊、餅干啊,可能還會有蛋糕。
But actually couples of the administrative assistants are working on that.
而幾位行政助理已經在著手準備了。
You could ask them but I think they've got covered.
你可以問問他們,但是我覺得他們基本能搞定。
Eric:Ok.
艾瑞克:好吧。
Pro:Actually, oh, no, never mind.
教授:其實,哎,算了。
Eric:What's it?
艾瑞克:怎么了?
Pro:Well, it's nothing to do with the party and I'm sure there are more exciting ways that you could spend your time.
教授:呃,其實這和晚會沒啥關系,而且我想你更樂意花時間去做更有意思的事情。
But we do need some help with something.
但是我們確實需要幫忙。
Work pilling a database of articles the anthropology faculty has published.
為人類學教職員工們出版的文章資料庫做整合工作。
There is not much glory, but we are looking for someone with some knowledge of anthropology who can enter the articles.
雖說不是什么特別榮耀的事情,我們真的希望有一些人類學知識背景的人參與進來。
I hesitate to mention it.
我有點猶豫,
But I don't suppose it's something you would.
因為我想你可能不太愿意。
Eric:No, that sounds like cool.
艾瑞克:不不,聽起來不錯。
I would like to see what they are writing about.
我還真想看看他們寫的文章。
Pro:Wonderful. And there are also some unpublished studies.
教授:那太好了。而且還有一些未出版的研究。
Do you know De Adams did a lot of field research in Indonesia?
你知道迪·亞當斯在印度尼西亞進行過很多實地考察工作嗎?
Most of them haven't been published yet.
很多還未出版。
Eric:No, like what?
艾瑞克:比如?
Pro:Well, she is really versatile.
教授:呃,她真的各方面都有所涉獵。
She just spent several months studying social interactions in Indonesia and she's been influential in ecology.
她剛在印度尼西亞花了幾個月的時間研究社會互動,而且她在生態學也很有影響力。
Oh, and she's also done work in south of America, this is closer to biology, especially with speciation.
噢,她還在美國南部做過工作,與生物學比較接近,尤其是物種形成。
Eric:ah, not to seem uninformed.
艾瑞克:啊,這個我不太了解。
Pro:Well, how's species form?
教授:呃,物種是如何形成的?
You know, how two distinct species form from one.
你知道,兩種不同的生物如何從一個物種進化而來。
Like when population of the same species are isolated from each other and then developed into two different directions and ended up with two distinct species.
比如相同生物的種群彼此隔離開來時,然后就會向著兩個不同的方向發展,從而形成兩種截然不同的生物。
Eric:Interesting.
艾瑞克:太有趣了。
Pro:Yes, while she was there in the south of America, she collected a lot of linguistic information and sounds, really fascinating.
教授:是啊。當她在美國南部的時候收集了大量的語言學及聲音的信息,簡直棒極了。
Eric:Well. I hate to see her leave.
艾瑞克:哎,我真的不想她退休。
Pro:Don't worry. She'll still be around. She's got lots of projects that she's still in the middle of.
教授:沒事。她還會在的。她還有許多未完成的項目在做呢。