Listen to a conversation between a student and a professor.
聽一段師生間的談話。
Uh, excuse me, Thompson.
呃,打擾一下,湯普森教授。
I know your office hours are tomorrow, but I was wondering if you had a few minutes free now to discuss something.
我知道明天才是你的答疑時間,但不知道你有幾分鐘時間咱探討一些問題?
Sure, John.
沒問題,約翰同學。
What did you want to talk about?
你想討論什么呢?
Well, I have some quick questions about how to write up the research project I did this semester —about climate variations.
:我有幾個關于如何寫我這個學期做的研究項目的問題——和氣候變更有關。
Oh, yes.
哦,行。
You were looking at variations in climate in the Grant City area, right?
你在搜集格蘭特城區氣候變量,是吧?
How far along have you gotten?
你現在搜集了多少了?
I've got all my data, so I'm starting to summarize it now, preparing graphs and stuff.
我已經得到所有的數據,我現在開始著手總結,準備圖表之類的。
But I'm just...
但......我擔心這些數據不夠,
I'm looking at it and I'm afraid that it's not enough, but I'm not sure what else to put in the report.
但又不清楚應該在報告里加入些什么。
I hear the same thing from every.
每個同學都問我這個問題。
You know, you have to remember now that you're the expert on what you've done.
要記住,在自己所完成的這些準備工作中,你就是權威。
So, think about what you'd need to include if you were going to explain your research project to someone with general or casual knowledge about the subject,
所以,試想一下你要向一個對這個項目相關知識并無太多積攢的人,
like... like your parents.
如你的父母,來解釋你的研究項目。
That's usually my rule of thumb: would my parents understand this?
這是我的經驗法則:我的父母會理解這些嗎?
OK.I get it.
好的。我明白了。
I hope you can recognize by my saying that how much you do know about the subject.
我希望你能理解我說的“你對這個項目的了解到底有多少”。
Right. I understand.
是的,我理解。
I was wondering if I should also include the notes from the research journal you suggested I keep.
我不知道我是否應該把你建議我保留的研究日志批注包括進去。
Yes, definitely.
當然包括。
You should use them to indicate what your evolution in thought was through time.
你可以用這些批注來標示隨著時間的推進你在思索中的進展。
So, just set up, you know, what was the purpose of what you were doing 猼o try to understand the climate variability of this area 猘nd what you did,
所以,加上這些你所做的事的目的——試著理解這個地區氣候的變異性——還有你做了什么
and what your approach was.
和你采取了什么方法。
OK.
好的。
So, for example, I studied meteorological records; I looked at climate charts; I used different methods for analyzing the data,
也就是說,比如,我研究氣象記錄;我關注氣候圖標;我用不同的方法
like certain statistical tests; and then I discuss the results.
如用某種統計檢測法來分析數據;還有我論述的結果。
Is that what you mean?
你說的是這個意思嗎?
Yes, that's right.
是的,沒錯。
You should include all of that.
你應該把那些都囊括在里面。
The statistical tests are especially important.
那個統計檢測尤其重要。
And also be sure you include a good reference section where all your published and unpublished data came from,
此外,還需要將你發布過的和沒有發布過的參考剖面納入其中,
cause you have a lot of unpublished climate data.
因為你有很多未公開過的氣候數據。
Hmm... something just came into my mind and went out the other side.
嗯......我剛才突然想起什么來著,但又忘記了。
That happens to me a lot, so I've come up with a pretty good memory management tool.
我也經常這樣,所以我想出了一個很好的記憶管理方法。
I carry a little pad with me all the time and jot down questions or ideas that I do not want to forget.
我總是隨身攜帶一個記事本,快速記下自己要問的而且不想忘記的問題或一些想法
For example, I went to the doctor with my daughter and her baby son last week and we knew we would not remember everything we wanted to ask the doctor,
比如,我上周和我女兒、外孫一塊去醫院,我們知道我們不可能記得要問醫生的所有問題,
so we actually made a list of five things we wanted answers to.
所以我們做出了一個需要解答的問題表。
A notepad is a good idea.
帶記事本這個想法不錯。
Since I'm so busy now at the end of the semester, I'm getting pretty forgetful these days.
因為期末很忙,所以這段時間丟三落四的。
OK.I just remembered what I was trying to say before.
好,我突然想起我剛才想要說的話。
Good.I was hoping you'd come up with it.
很好。我剛才還在指望你能想起呢。
Yes.It ends up that I have data on more than just the immediate Grant City area, so I also included some regional data in the report.
事實上我不只有格蘭特城區實時的數據,所以我也會將一些區域性的數據納入報告中。
With everything else it should be a pretty good indicator of the climate in this part of the state.
加上剛才我們討論過的,這個數據應該能對應國家這部分地區的氣候變化。
Sounds good.
這個想法不錯。
I'd be happy to look over a draft version before you hand in the final copy,if you wish.
如果你愿意的話,我倒樂意在你提交這個報告前給你審查你的樣稿。
Great.
太好了。
I'll plan to get you a draft of the paper by next Friday.
下周五之前我給你一份樣稿。
Thanks very much.
非常感謝。
Well, see ya.
再見!
OK.
再見!