惠特曼(1819-1884)美國詩人,1810年5月31日,華爾脫·惠特曼出生于美國紐約長島的一個農民家庭。因家庭經濟拮據,他只讀過幾年小學,11歲就輟學了?;萏芈鲞^勤雜工、學徒、排字工人、鄉村小學教師、記者、編輯等?;萏芈拿裰髦髁x思想有兩個主要來源,少年時代,他多次聆聽了他家??屯旭R斯·潘恩的談話,后者激進的民主傾向和空想社會主義的思想給他留下深刻影響,使他從小就立志成為一個潘恩式的民主斗士。成年以后,適逢超驗主義運動興起,他為愛默生的學說所迷醉,更加熱愛大自然和普通的勞動人民,強化了自己的民主立場。

Night on the Prairies
草原之夜
by Walt Whitman
瓦爾特·惠特曼
Night on the prairies,
草原的夜晚,
The supper is over, the fire on the ground burns low,
晚餐過了,活在地上輕輕的燃燒,
The wearied emigrants sleep, wrapt in their blankets;
疲倦了的牧民過著他們的毯子睡著了,
I walk by myself--I stand and look at the stars,
我獨自散步---我站著觀望星星。
which I think nownever realized before.
那些我以前從沒有注意過的星星。
Now I absorb immortality and peace,
現在我想著永生與和平,
I admire death and test propositions.
我羨慕死亡,我思考各種問題。
How plenteous! how spiritual! how resume!
多么豐饒!多么高尚!多么簡明喲!
The same old man and soul--the same old aspirations, and the same content.
同樣的一個老人和靈魂——同樣的舊有的渴望,同樣的滿足。
I was thinking the day most splendid till I saw what the not-day exhibited,
直到我看見非白天所展示的一切,我一直以為白天最為光輝燦爛,
I was thinking this globe enough till there sprang out so noiseless around me myriads of other globes.
直到在我的周圍無聲地涌現出千萬個其他的地球,我一直以為這個地球已經很足夠。
Now while the great thoughts of space and eternity fill me I will measure myself by them,
現在空間和永恒的偉大思想己充滿了我,我要以它們來測量我自己,
And now touch'd with the lives of other globes arrived as far along as those of the earth,
現在我接觸到別的星球的生命,這生命跟大地上的生命一樣來自遙遠的地方,
Or waiting to arrive, or pass'd on farther than those of the earth,
或是將要來到,或是已經超過了大地上的生命,
I henceforth no more ignore them than I ignore my own life,
此后我將不再漠視它們,正如我不漠視我自己的生命,
Or the lives of the earth arrived as far as mine, or waiting to arrive.
或者那些在大地上跟我一樣進展的,或將要來到的生命。
O I see now that life cannot exhibit all to me, as the day cannot,
啊,我現在看出生命不能向我展示出所有的一切,白天也不能展示出所有的一切,
I see that I am to wait for what will be exhibited by death.
我看出我得等待那將由死展示出來的東西。