1. against one’s wishes:違背某人的意愿
e.g. Mr.George cast off his daughter when she married against his wishes.
他的女兒違背父意結婚以后,喬治先生就和她斷絕了關系。
e.g. My father was a poor minister and my mother had married him against the wishes of her family.
我父親是個窮牧師﹐我母親不顧家庭的反對嫁給了他。
2. give away:喪失,失去,錯失(優勢)
e.g. We gave away a silly goal.
我們愚蠢地白送了對方一分。
e.g. Military advantages should not be given away.
不能喪失軍事優勢。
3. in the first place:起初,剛開始
e.g. Why did you choose basketball in the first place?
你為何首先選擇籃球呢?
e.g. You should never have acted the way you did in the first place.
當初你就不該這么做。
4. above all:尤其是,最重要的是,首要的是
e.g. Moral beauty ought to be ranked above all other beauty.
品德之美應列于其他美之上。
e.g. A faintly comic figure, he fears ridicule above all else.
他是個不怎么滑稽的人物,最害怕被人嘲笑。
5. think of:想到
e.g. I can't bear to think of it!
我簡直不忍心去想它!
e.g. She couldn't think of such a thing.
她簡直不能想象這樣的事。
6. motives for:......的動機
e.g. The police could not find a motive for the murder.
警方未能找出謀殺者的動機。
e.g. His real motive for the crime remains obscure.
他犯罪的真正動機仍不清楚。
7. remind sb. of sth.:提醒某人某事或某物
e.g. I kept it all the time to remind me of you.
我一直保存著它,以使我想起你。
e.g. In case I forget, please remind me of my promise.
萬一我忘記的話,請提醒一下我的諾言。
8. care about:在于,關心,對......感興趣
e.g. I don't much care about television.
我并不太愛看電視.
e.g. Don't you care about losing your job?
你難道就不擔心失去工作?