Don't Ask Why
別問為什么
“This is a test of endurance,” the announcer said.
“這是一次耐力測驗,”發令員說。
He prepared his starting gun and looked at the clock.
他準備好發令槍,然后盯著表。
“I can't wait to start the race,” James said.
“快開始比賽吧,我都等不急。”詹姆斯說。
James was an engaging person with an energetic personality.
他是個迷人的小伙子,具有充滿活力的個性。
Four years ago, he enlisted in the armed forces.
詹姆斯四年前入伍,
Today was his last official in the military and that fact energized him even more.
今天是他在軍隊服役的最后一天,這使他渾身有使不完的勁兒。
What better way to celebrate the occasion than to win a trophy engraved with his name?
有什么比獲得刻有自己名字的獎杯能更好的慶祝這個時刻呢?
But to tell you the truth, it wasn't the engraving that interested him. It was the gorgeous girl at the finish line.
但說老實話,吸引他的并不是那獎杯上精致的雕刻,而是終點處美麗的姑娘貝西。
Bessie was the kind of girl that could enhance your performance as easily as she could enervate it.
貝西能輕而易舉地提高你的比賽成績,同樣也能輕而易舉地使你無力回天。
I recall an incident enmity between them made James as weak as a wet noodle.
我記得有一次,詹姆斯送給他前女友一個生日賀卡,這下激怒了貝西。之后,他們之間出現短暫的隔閡,搞的詹姆斯身心交瘁。
It could have been a hoax, but he sure didn't act like the enduring bachelor I thought he as.
這可能是個騙局,但他的確不是我想象中有耐力的單身漢。
Since then, Bessie has engrossed James to the point where he can think of nobody else.
從那以后,貝西完全傾心于詹姆斯,其程度之深使詹姆斯也無從想念別人了。
He once told me, “I've been engulfed by her charm.”
詹姆斯曾經告訴我他已被貝西的魅力吞沒了。
“What's the rush?” I asked.
“為什么這么著急?”我問。
I really wasn't ready to endure the twenty-seven mile race.
說真的,我還沒有準備好忍受這27英里的賽程。
The thought of running further than I drive in a week engendered feelings of anxiety and doubt.
一想到要跑的路比我一周開車走過的路還長,就引起了我的焦慮不安,
I was having an engrossed moment of regret when James broke the silence.
我全神貫注地思考著,為自己的參賽而后悔。這時詹姆斯打破了沉默。
“You're an enigma,” James said.
“你真是個謎,”詹姆斯說,
“I know you hate running long distances.
“我知道你討厭長跑,
Why would you want to run twenty-seven miles?
可為什么還要準備跑27英里呢?
You're the most enigmatic person I know.”
你是我認識的人中最高深莫測的人。”
“Frankly, I can't figure out why anyone would want to do it,” I replied.
“坦率地說,我搞不懂為什么誰都想參加,”我回答,
“Perhaps we're all seeking enlightenment.”
“也許我們都在尋找啟迪吧。”