An Honorable Entry
一個體面的入場
“Why did you emit that scream?” Alice asked.
“你為什么發出那種尖叫聲?”愛麗絲問。
Alice wasn't the emotional type.
她不是那種易動感情的人。
She always placed emphasis on being cool.
她總是強調保持冷靜沉著。
“Sorry, I can't control my emotions.” Rosie said.
“對不起,我控制不了我的情感,”羅西說。
Rosie came from a rich family and she loved animals.
羅西出生于富貴家庭。她很喜歡動物,
She was particularly enchanted with the idea of protecting animals from those who endanger them.
尤其熱心于保護動物免遭人類危害的倡議。
Her father had endowed the local veterinary hospital on her behalf.
她父親代表她像當地動物醫院捐款,
It was a very large endowment.
那是一筆數目可觀的捐款。
However, today's news of a recent enactment gave her a bigger reason to scream.
然而,今天聽到最近已通過一條保護動物的法令,她更有理由抒發自己的情感,于是就出現了故事開頭的尖叫。
“Finally, they passed a law that penalizes private landowners who encroach on protected wildlife areas.
“最后,他們終于通過了法令,處罰那些侵占動物保護區的私人土地所有者。
This new law will defend animals in an endless number of ways.”
這條新法令將利用一切手段來保護動物。”
“You couldn't have emphasized that point more clearly,” Alice said.
“這個觀點你已經強調得再清楚不過了。”愛麗絲說。
Alice knew very little about wildlife conservation except for what she read in her outdated encyclopedia.
除了從過時的百科全書里了解的知識外,愛麗絲對野生動物保護幾乎一無所知。
“If I was the President, I would build a special enclosure to house endangered animals.
“如果我是總統,我會專門建起一道圍墻來安置瀕危動物。
That way, they wouldn't have to worry about encountering poachers and other dangerous humans.
這樣就不必擔心他們遭遇偷獵者和其他危險分子了。
I would also enclose all of the wildlife areas.”
我還會圈起所有的野生動物保護區。”
“Why not just encase them in plastic?” Rosie said with a giggle.
“為什么不干脆用塑料把他們包起來?”羅西咯咯的笑著說,
“You don't really know much about wildlife conservation, do you?
“事實上你對野生動物保護了解得不是很多,對不對?
I think your entire knowledge of animals is encompassed within that ancient set of encyclopedias.
你關于動物的全部知識都局限在那本古老的百科全書中。
You shouldn't let those heavy books encumber you.
你不該讓這些沉重的書阻礙你學習。
This weekend, why don't you come with me to see a wildlife area with your own eyes?”
這個周末,為什么不跟我一起用自己的眼睛來觀察野生動物保護區呢?”
“Okay,” Alice said.
“好的。”愛麗絲說,
“I know my knowledge of animal life is limited, but why should I endeavor to learn more?
“我知道關于動物生活習性的知識我知之甚少,但干嘛我還要努力再去學習呢?
I'll never be the President anyway.”
反正我永遠也當不上總統。”