Solomon Northup, an educated freeman from the North, was kidnapped into slavery.
所羅門·諾薩普,一位來自北方的受過教育的自由人因遭綁架而淪為奴隸。
You, come over here.
你,到這邊來。
He would make us hold up our heads, walk us briskly back and forth, while customers would feel our hands and arms and bodies,
他會要求我們把頭抬起來,讓我們快速來回奔跑,這樣顧客們就能觀察我們的手臂和軀干。
make us open up our mouths and show our teeth, precisely as a jockey examines a horse, which he is about to barter for or purchase.
他讓我們張開嘴巴露出牙齒,簡直就像一個騎師在檢驗馬匹,然后再決定是用錢還是用貨物來完成交易。
Scars upon a slave's back were considered evidence of a rebellio us or unruly spirit, and hurt his sale.
奴隸后背上的傷疤被視為該奴隸反叛或難以管束的證據,因而影響售價。
Take your top off.
把上衣脫了。
90% of all African -Americans are slaves, 4 million men, women and children.
九成的非裔美國人都是奴隸,包括400萬男人、女人和小孩。
We had based this country on everyone having inalienable rights to freedom and equality, and yet we created a system of abject persecution.
我們的建國綱領是人人都享有不容侵犯的自由和平等權利,然而我們也創造了一套慘無人道的迫害機制。
Slaves are fattened for auction, like livestock.
奴隸們被養肥了送去拍賣,就像牲口一樣。
Dark -skinned men are bought for the fields, light -skinned women for the house.
深膚色的男人被買走干農活,而淺膚色的女人則用來做家務活。
Traders lie about their ages, even dye a slave's gray hairs.
奴隸販子們謊報他們的年齡,甚至會給奴隸的白發染色。
For the plantation owners, it was like just goin g to your local supermarket to get sugar or flour.
對于農場主來說,買奴隸就像去當地的超市買糖和面粉一樣。
They had become so desensitized to the humanity of the slave that they did not see them as human beings.
他們已經完全忘了奴隸也是人,以至于根本不把奴隸當人看。
Buyers demand the most fertile slaves for breeding. The most expensive are light -skinned teenage vir gins. Rape is common.
買家需要生育能力強的奴隸來繁衍后代,身價最高的就是淺膚色未成年處女,強奸已是稀松平常。
Eliza's from a state plantation. She's being sold, with her two children, Emily and Randall.
伊萊扎來自一個州立農場,和她一起被拍賣的還有她的兩個孩子埃米莉和蘭德爾。
In Louisiana, it's illegal for children under 11 to be taken from their parents.
在路易斯安那州將11歲以下的孩子從父母身邊帶走是違法的。
Boy, come over here.
小伙子,過來。
It happens all the time. Show me your t eeth.
但這種事屢見不鮮。給我看看你的牙齒。
You know, 140 years is not a really long time in the context of history.
140年的時間對于整個歷史進程來說并不漫長。
So it's hard for me to believe that blacks didn't have any rights here, they weren't treated as human beings, they were treated like animals, essentially.
所以我真的不敢相信140年前黑人在這里沒有任何權利可言,他們遭受的是非人的對待。本質上他們的待遇和動物無異。
Sir, please! Over half the sales at auction will tear a family apart.
求你了,先生。拍賣會上過半的交易都會拆散一個家庭。
If you've ever been eight, to think of being separated from your mother and your father and sold and you'll never see them again.
想象一下,一個八歲的孩子被迫與父母分開,被人買走永遠不能再見父母一面。
The horror of that, the poignancy of all of that, and yet that's the kind of t hing that happened across the South up until the end of slavery.
想象一下這過程中的驚恐與辛酸,而類似事件卻在整個南方屢見不鮮,直到奴隸制度瓦解。
Okay, my final offer, I'll give you 1,000 for that man, 900 for that man.
好了,我最后一次出價,這個男人我出一千,那個男人我出九百。
That woman there, $700. Please, buy my child! Sir!
那邊那個女人我出七百。求你買下我的孩子吧,先生。