I had an interview today, too.
我今天也參加了一次面談。
I had a great interview
我參加了一次很精彩的面試
with Admissions at Columbia University.
與Columbia大學的招生人員。
Really?
真的
What did they say?
他們說什麼
Will you get into the school?
你會被錄取嗎
Well, they didn't say anything for sure.
嗯 他們沒有任何確實的答覆。
But I figure that with my grades and with my personality,
但我想 憑我的成技 和我的品行
I'll have no problem.
我不會有問題。
Columbia's a terrific school.
Columbia是一所很難的學校!
What are you going to do?
你打算讀什麼
Do? I don't know.
讀什麼 我不知道
I also applied to NYU.
我還申請了紐約大學
You sound excited about Columbia.
聽起來你對Columbiia大學躍躍欲試
What's your problem, Mike?
你現在問題在哪,Mike
Indecision. Indecision.
下不了決心 下不了決心。
It's not easy,
實在不容易
and this is an important decision we have to make.
這又是我們必須做的一個重大決定。
What about you?
你呢
How was your interview with Michigan?
你跟Michigan大學的人面談得如何
The interview was fine.
面談得很好。
It's a great college.
那是一所好大學。
It is.
是的。
My father would like me to go there.
我爸爸希望我去那?
He and my Grandpa both went there.
他和我爺爺都曾在哪里讀書。
Great medical school, too.
而且有很好的醫學院
I know.
我知道。
You can follow in your father's footsteps.
你可以跟隨你父親步伐 。
Ah! I'd like to follow in my own footsteps, Mike.
噢 我想走自己的路 Mike。
What do you want to study?
你想學什麼
I've been thinking.
我一直在考慮。
I think I want to study journalism
我想學新聞學
to be a reporter--a newspaperman.
將來當一名記者 一個新聞從業人員。
You do a pretty good job on the Riverdale High School paper.
你在Riverdale高中校刊做得有聲有色
And I've been thinking about it a lot lately.
最近我一直就此事想了很多。
Have you discussed it with your parents?
你和父母商量過了
No. But I have to.
沒有 但有此必要
OK. Let's talk.
好 我們談談吧。
Hi, Son. Is everything all right?
嗨 孩子 一切都順利嗎
Hi, Dad. Everything's fine.
嗨 爸爸。一切都好
I was just waiting for you to get home
我正等你回來
so we could talk.
好跟你談談。
Anything special you want to talk about?
有什麼特殊的事要談嗎
There is, Dad.
有 爸爸。
There is, Dad.
有 爸爸。
I'm listening.
那就說吧。
Well, I know you and Mom have given up a lot
嗯 我知道你和媽媽 省吃儉用
to save money for my college tuition.
存錢準備我的大學學費
We want you to go to college, Robbie.
我們希望你上大學 Robbie。
I know. I do.
我知道。我會的。
But?
那還有什麼事
Well, I've thought a lot about which college,
嗯 我為了上哪一所大學想了很多
and one of them is Columbia.
其中一所是Columbiia大學。
Columbia? Why Columbia?
Columbia 為什麼是Columbia
First, they have an excellent School of Journalism.
首先 那 有個很優秀的新聞研究所。
They do.
是的。
And your friends are planning to go to Columbia?
而且你的朋友們也準備上Columbia大學 對嗎
That's only part of it.
這只是一部分原因
It's complicated.
原因很復雜。
I'll try to explain.
我會盡量給你解釋
Mike and I had a hamburger this afternoon, and we talked.
今天下午 Mike和我一起吃漢堡 一起討論。
Yes?
是嗎
Well, we talked about a lot of things.
嗯 我們談了很多
He applied to Columbia,
他申請了Columbia大學
and his interview was very successful.
他的面談很成功。
He thinks he'll be accepted,
他覺得他會被錄取
and he really wants to go there.
他確實很想去那
and he really wants to go there.
他確實很想去那
Dean Rafer called me today.
Rafer主任今天打電話給我
He told me he was very impressed with you.
他告訴我他對你印象很好。
He's a nice man.
他是個好人
He was very kind.
對人和藹。
He told me
他告訴我
you had some doubts about wanting to go to Michigan.
你對上Michigan大學有些疑慮。
Yes. I do.
是的 我有疑慮。
I'm just not sure about what I want to do.
我不知道該讀什麼
That's OK.
不去不要緊。
You understand?
你能諒解
Let me tell you something, Robbie.
讓我告訴你一件事 Robbie。
Something that might be surprising to you.
一件也許會讓你吃驚的事。
What? Tell me.
什麼事 說給我聽聽?
Well, Grandpa wanted me to study engineering, like him.
嗯 爺爺希望我像他一樣學工程
Well, I wasn't clear about my future,
我對自己的未來當時也不清楚
but I knew engineering was not for me.
但我知道工程對我不合適
What did you tell Grandpa?
那你是如何對爺爺說的呢
The truth.
實話實說。
Then you're not upset
那麼 你沒有感到沮喪
about my not wanting to go into medicine?
對我不學醫。
I'm not upset at all.
一點也不。
I'm just happy that we're able to talk about it.
我很高興我們能夠一起商討這件事。
I'm just happy that we're able to talk about it.
我很高興我們能夠一起商討這件事。
I am too, Dad.
我也一樣 爸爸。
I suppose you want to apply to Columbia.
我猜想你會申請Collumbia大學。
Yes, but I also want to apply to several other colleges.
是的 但我還想申請幾所其他的大學。
I thought you wanted to go to Columbia.
我還以為你只想上Columbia大學。
Well, I might want to go to Columbia.
嗯 我也許去Columbia大學。
But I might not.
但也許不去。
I just want to be able to make my own decision.
我只想能夠自己決定
You're a real Stewart!
你真是我們Stewart家的人
And if I think about it long enough, you never know ...
如果我一直考慮下去的話 說不定……
Never know what?
說不定什麼
If I make my own decision,
如果我自己作決定的話
I might choose Michigan.
我說不定選擇Michiigan大學。
Robbie, you're something!
Robbie 你真是有夠瞧
You know, when I was your age,
要知道 當我像你這麼大的時候
I said exactly the same thing to Grandpa.
我跟你爺爺說了同樣的話。