Mrs. Weasley woke them all early the following Wednesday.
到了下星期三,韋斯萊夫人一大早就把他們叫醒了。
After a quick half a dozen bacon sandwiches each, they pulled on their coats and Mrs. Weasley took a flowerpot offthe kitchen mantelpiece and peered inside.
他們每人匆匆吃了五六塊成肉三明治,然后穿好外套。韋斯萊夫人從廚房壁爐架上端起一只花盆,朝里面看著。
“We’re running low, Arthur,” she sighed.
“不多了,亞瑟,”她嘆了口氣,
“We’ll have to buy some more today. . . . Ah well, guests first! After you, Harry dear!”
“今天得去買點兒……好吧,客人先請!哈利,你先來!”
And she offered him the flowerpot.
她把花盆送到他面前。
Harry stared at them all watching him.
哈利愣住了,大家都看著他。
“W-what am I supposed to do?” he stammered.
“我——我應該怎么做?”他結結巴巴地問。
“He’s never traveled by Floo powder,” said Ron suddenly. “Sorry, Harry, I forgot.”
“他沒用過飛路粉旅行。”羅恩突然說,“對不起,哈利,我忘記了。”
“Never?” said Mr. Weasley.
“你沒用過?”韋斯萊先生問道,
“But how did you get to Diagon Alley to buy your school things last year?”
“那你去年是怎么到對角巷去買學習用品的?”
“I went on the Underground —”
“我坐地鐵去的——”
“Really?” said Mr. Weasley eagerly.
“是嗎?”韋斯萊先生興致勃勃地問,
“Were there escapators? How exactly —”
“有電梯子嗎?到底怎么——”
“Not now, Arthur,” said Mrs. Weasley.
“現在別問了,亞瑟。”韋斯萊夫人說,
“Floo powder’s a lot quicker, dear, but goodness me, if you’ve never used it before —”
“哈利用飛路粉要快得多,可是,天哪,要是你從前沒用過——”
“He’ll be all right, Mum,” said Fred. “Harry, watch us first.”
“他沒問題的,媽媽。”弗雷德說,“哈利,先看我們怎么做。”
He took a pinch of glittering powder out of the flowerpot, stepped up to the fire, and threw the powder intothe flames.
他從花盆里捏起一撮亮晶晶的粉末,走到火爐前,把粉末丟進火焰里。
With a roar, the fire turned emerald green and rose higher than Fred, who stepped right into it, shouted,“Diagon Alley!” and vanished.
呼的一聲,爐火變得碧綠,升得比弗雷德還高。他徑直走進火里,喊了一聲“對角巷!”眨眼間就不見了。
“You must speak clearly, dear,” Mrs. Weasley told Harry as George dipped his hand into the flowerpot.
“你必須把這幾個字說清楚,孩子,”韋斯萊夫人對哈利說,喬治也把手伸進了花盆,
“And be sure to get out at the right grate. . . .”
“出來時千萬別走錯爐門……”
“The right what?” said Harry nervously as the fire roared and whipped George out of sight, too.
“別走錯什么?”哈利緊張地問,火焰呼嘯著躥起,把喬治也卷走了。
“Well, there are an awful lot of wizard fires to choose from, you know, but as long as you’ve spoken clearly—”
“你知道,魔火有很多種,你必須選準,但只要你口齒清楚——”
“He’ll be fine, Molly, don’t fuss,” said Mr. Weasley, helping himself to Floo powder, too.
“他不會有事的,莫麗,別緊張兮兮的。”韋斯萊先生說著,也取了一些飛路粉。
“But, dear, if he got lost, how would we ever explain to his aunt and uncle?”
“可是親愛的,如果他走丟了,我們怎么跟他的姨父姨媽交代啊?”
“They wouldn’t mind,” Harry reassured her.
“他們不會著急的。”哈利安慰她說,