Li: Neil, can we get this programme done now? I need to get some stuff for my Sunday roast dinner.
李:尼爾,我們現在可以結束節目了嗎?我要為周日的烤肉大餐準備材料。
Neil: I am stuffed! Oh, totally stuffed (burp)I'm sorry!
尼爾:我吃飽了!哦,我完全吃飽了,(打嗝)不好意思!
Li: Well, since today's words are stuff and stuffed, I think you will be just perfect to explain them.
李:既然今天要講的單詞是物品和吃飽了,我想你很完美地解釋了它們。
Neil: Oh that's easy. I knew I was going to a launch party this lunchtime, so I skipped breakfast.
尼爾:那很簡單。我知道我要在午飯時間參加派對,所以我沒有吃早飯。
Li: That's not good.
李:這可不好。
Neil: Anyway, I got there and a lovely buffet was set up. The stuff on offer looked great.
尼爾:不管怎么說,我到了那里,看到了準備好的自助餐。供應的食物看上去好極了。
Li: Stuff? You mean the food?
李:東西?你是指食物嗎?
Neil: Yes. The word 'stuff' can mean anything really. It almost has the same meaning as 'things'. Let's hear these people:
尼爾:對。實際上這個詞可以代表任何事情。它基本上同“東西”這個詞同意。我們來看一些例子:
We need to clear the lockers. Can you get all your stuff out by 7pm tonight.
我們需要清理這個儲物柜。你能在今晚七點前把你的東西都拿出來嗎?
The amount of stuff she's got in her bathroom is unbelievable. She's got enough to open a beauty shop.
她放在浴室里的東西的數量簡直不可思議。她都能開個美容店了。
Woman: What's that stuff on your jacket?
女:你夾克上的那是什么東西?
Man: Er, it's pigeon dropping. Yuck.
男:額,好像是鴿子屎。真惡心。
Li: Well, we hear the word stuff used a lot in conversations. People say it all the time. My stuff, your stuff, his stuff. All referring to things.
李:我們看到了這個詞在很多對話中的應用。人們一直在用這個詞。我的東西,你的東西,他的東西。所有的例子都表示“東西”這個意思。
Neil: Yes. You can also use it like a verb: I stuffed myself with food.
尼爾:對。這個詞也可以用作動詞:我吃飽了。
Li: You are stuffed? Completely full?
李:你吃飽了?完全吃飽了?
Neil: Yes, I am completely stuffed, I can barely move.
尼爾:對,我完全吃飽了,我都動不了了。
Li: What about stuffed toys? I see them a lot in toyshops. You look just like one of those stuffed toys!
李:那填充玩具呢?我在玩具店里經??吹?。你看起來就像一個填充玩具!
Neil: I can't stand them. They are stuffed full of wool or cotton or something. They are for girls; I much prefer proper wooden toys.
尼爾:我可受不了那些玩具。它們填滿了羊毛、棉花或是其他東西。它們都是給女孩子玩的;我更喜歡木制玩具。
Li: Maybe you'd prefer a wooden pillow too?
李:也許你也更喜歡木枕頭吧?
Neil: Are you joking! I've got to have a nice and soft pillow. But I must make sure it has the right stuffing in it?
尼爾:你開玩笑呢吧!我要買一個柔軟的枕頭。可是我必須要確保里面是好的填充物。
Li: What's the right stuffing?
李:什么是好的填充物?
Neil: Anything but feather or duck down.
尼爾:除了羽毛和鴨絨的任何東西。
Li: Why?
李:為什么?
Neil: Allergies. I can't stand anything stuffed with feathers.
尼爾:過敏。我受不了羽毛填充物。
Li: I think we've talked long enough about stuff you eat for lunch, stuff that you liked and stuff that gives you allergies.
李:我想我們談了足夠長的時間,談了午飯吃的食物,談了你喜歡的東西,還有會讓你過敏的東西。
Neil: Well, it's time for you to get your stuff ready for Sunday Roast.
尼爾:現在是你為周日的烤肉大餐準備材料的時間了。
Li: That's right. Join us next time. Bye bye!
李:沒錯。我們下次節目再見。再見!
Neil: Bye!
尼爾:再見!