Kaz: Hello, I'm Kaz.
卡茲:大家好,我是卡茲。
Yang Li: And I'm Yang Li. Hey Kaz, why are we listening to this rocket launch?
楊麗:我是楊麗。嘿卡茲,你為什么在聽這個火箭發射?
Kaz: Well, it's dramatic, but there's another reason. I thought it could introduce today's expression.
卡茲:因為它很激動人心,但是還有另一個原因。我覺得它可以引出今天的短語。
Yang Li: Tell me more.
楊麗:告訴我更多吧。
Kaz: The expression is 'It's not rocket science'.
卡茲:短語是“這不是火箭科學”。
Yang Li: 'It's not rocket science', meaning?
楊麗:“這不是火箭科學”意思是?
Kaz: Something that's not complicated or difficult to understand - 'it's not rocket science'.
卡茲:某事并不復雜或很難理解——“這么簡單的事情”。
Yang Li: For example?
楊麗:比如?
Kaz: OK. Somebody can't get the television to work and asks you, "How do I switch this thing on?" You would say "It's not rocket science. Just press 'on' on the handset".
卡茲:好的。某人不能打開電視機然后問你,“我怎么打開這個?”你可以說“這么簡單的事情。只要按一下遙控器的開鍵就行。”
Yang Li: So there's nothing complicated about it. You just press the 'on' switch and away you go. But is the expression 'it's not rocket science' only used for gadgets?
楊麗:所以這并沒有什么復雜的。你只是按了開鍵然后你就走了。但是“這么簡單的事情”這個短語是不是只用在小玩意上?
Kaz: No, not at all, Li. In fact it's used for many situations that are just obvious... for example - why are we always short of money?
卡茲:不,并不是,麗。事實上它用在很多清楚明白的情境下...比如,為什么我們總是缺錢?
Yang Li: Well, it's not rocket science Kaz - we don't get paid enough!
楊麗:這么簡單的事情卡茲——我們的工資不夠多!
Kaz: Brilliant Li. That's an excellent example.
卡茲:精彩麗。這是個完美的例子。
Yang Li: Yes, I like it too. But let's listen to some more examples:
楊麗:是的,我也喜歡。但是讓我們來聽更多的例子:
How do I cook this soup?
我應該怎樣煮這個湯?
Come on Rob, it's not rocket science, all you have to do is open the tin and heat it up.
別這樣羅伯,這么簡單的事情,你只需要打開罐頭然后加熱。
I can't understand why our company is in such a mess?
我不能理解為什么我們的公司這么混亂?
It's not rocket science to figure that out - there are too many managers!
這么容易理解的事情——有太多的經理了!
Yang Li: OK Kaz, the phrase 'it's not rocket science' is used for situations that are obvious. But I get the feeling that the phrase 'it's not rocket science' is quite informal, right?
楊麗:好的卡茲,短語“這么簡單的事情”用在非常明顯的情境下。但是我覺得“這并不是火箭科學”不太正式,是嗎?
Kaz: You're right Li. So please use with care!
卡茲:你說得對麗。那么請小心使用!
Yang Li: Absolutely.
楊麗:當然了。
Kaz: It's usually used with the negative 'It's not rocket science'.
卡茲:它通常情況下和否定一起用“這并不是火箭科學”。
Yang Li: Well, I'm sure of one thing Kaz.
楊麗:我很確定一件事卡茲。
Kaz: What's that Li?
卡茲:那是什么麗?
Yang Li: Presenting this programme is not exactly rocket science - it's easy!
楊麗:做這個節目并不是火箭科學——這很簡單!
Both: Bye!
一起:再見!