Finn: Thank you for coming with me to my late uncle's old house. He died recently.
芬:謝謝你和我一起來我叔叔的舊房子。他最近去世了。
Li: What a huge house!
李:好大的房子!
Finn: Yes. My uncle, Frank Stein, left instructions for me to collect a suitcase which contains a donation to a school.
芬:是的。我的叔叔,弗蘭克 斯坦,給我留下遺囑說讓我找到一個裝著捐獻給一個學校的箱子。
Li: A kind man who lived in a huge dark house. Oh, what was that?!
李:一個住在大的黑暗的房子里的善良的人。哦,這是什么?
Finn: An owl - spooky!
芬:一個貓頭鷹---好可怕!
Li: These wooden masks on the walls look very scary, Finn. Look - big eyes, twisted mouths…
李:這些掛在墻上的面具看起來好恐怖,芬??矗笱劬?,扭曲的嘴...
Finn: Yes, they are from an old tribe I think.
芬:是啊,我覺得這些都是來自于古老的部落。
Li: Finn, why did your uncle have all this stuff?
李:芬,為什么你的叔叔有這些東西?
Finn: Our family never had much contact with him. He was a bit of a loner with a mysterious past.
芬:我的家庭和他沒有太多的聯系。他有點像一個充滿神秘過去的孤獨者。
Li: Mysterious past?
李:神秘的過去?
Finn: Yes. He had a mysterious life. He was an adventurer and a gambler. His first wife was killed in an accident. The second one disappeared suddenly. He had a few skeletons in the closet!
芬:是的,我有一個神秘的生活。他曾經是一個探險家和賭徒。他的第一任妻子在一場事故中被殺了。第二任突然失蹤了。他的衣柜里有骷髏!
Li: He has got skeletons in the closet! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
李:他的衣柜里有骷髏!啊啊啊啊??!
Finn: Calm down, Li. In English, when we say that someone has a skeleton in the closet, we mean that they have a hidden secret which is embarrassing. Let's hear some examples.
芬:冷靜,李。在英語中,當我們說某人的衣柜里有骷髏,我們的意思是他們有見不得人的秘密。讓我們來聽幾個例子。
Mr Burns had to resign his position as CEO, after it came to light that his brother was in jail for corruption. Shareholders got scared he might have more skeletons in the closet.
伯恩斯先生需要辭退他CEO的位置,在他弟弟由于腐敗被關進牢里這件事被曝光后。股東們很害怕他或許有見不得人的秘密。
I have always led a modest and honest life. There are no skeletons in my closet.
我一直過著謙虛并誠實的生活。我沒有見不得人的秘密。
Li: That's a relief. So this is just an expression. There are no skeletons in these closets, are there?
李:幸好啊。所以這只是一個表達法。并沒有骷髏在衣柜里,對吧?
Finn: Oh, no. No skeletons in these closets but...
芬:哦,沒有。沒有骷髏在衣柜里,但是...
Li: But what?
李:但是什么?
Finn: But here's the suitcase my uncle wanted to donate to a school after his death. And it has...
芬:但是這是我叔叔去世后想要捐給學校的箱子。這里面有...
Li: A skeleton!! This place must be haunted! Ohhhhh I'm out of here!! Ahhhhhhh!
李:一個骷髏??!這個地方一定鬧鬼!啊啊啊我要離開這里!啊啊啊!
Finn: Don't worry, Li! My uncle Frank Stein was a doctor. He wanted me to donate this skeleton to a medical school for students to examine!
芬:不要擔心,李!我的叔叔弗蘭克 斯坦是個醫生。他想要我把這個骷髏捐給醫療學校來給學生們做實驗用!