Jean: Hi, you're listening to Jean Dong and this is Authentic Real English. 大家好,您現在正在收聽的是董珍為您主持的地道英語節目。
William: Hi, I'm William Kremer. We're going to be talking to you about the word wonky. W.O.N.K.Y. 嗨,大家好,我是威廉·克萊默。我們今天要討論的詞是wonky。
Jean: Yes, just before today's show William was telling me that his chair is wonky. 是的,就在節目開始前,威廉告訴我他的椅子是歪的。
William: Yes, my chair is wonky. 是的,我的椅子是歪的。
Jean: William 坐的椅子整個倒了,現在他已經坐在地上了。
William: That's right Jean; my chair has collapsed because it was wonky. 說的對,珍;我的椅子傾斜了因為它是歪的。
Jean: OK. 看來wonky這個詞的意思就是shaky或者是uneven。Shaky 搖搖晃晃的,uneven 歪的。
William: Yeah let's listen to these people using the word wonky. 是的,來聽這些人說這個詞。
Example:
A: I like your new glasses but they don't look straight. 我喜歡你的新眼鏡但是它們看上去是歪著的。
B: Oh, that's because my ears are wonky. 哦,那是因為我的耳朵是歪著的。
A: The wheel on my bike is wonky. 我自行車上的輪子壞了。
B: Oh... that explains why you looked so wobbly when you were cycling. 哦……這就是為什么你騎車的時候看上去那么不穩定的原因。
Jean: Ah so the first person said his ears were wonky. 那他的耳朵不會掉下來嗎?
William: No, he used wonky to mean uneven. 不會,他用這個詞表示歪的。
Jean: 噢,謝天謝地。
William: And the second person said the wheel on his bike is wonky. 第二個人說他自行車上的輪子是歪的。
Jean: Yes, 他自行車的輪子是 wonky 的,就是說是沒有安好,是歪的。
William: And his friend said he looked wobbly. 他的朋友說他看上去搖搖晃晃的。
Jean: 就是說,如果他的自行車輪子是wonky的,那么他看上去也是wobbly也就不奇怪了。Wobbly就是抖動的或者是搖搖擺擺的,平衡掌握得不好的樣子。
William: Ok Jean, I think that we're going to have to end the show here. 好的,珍,我想我們不得不結束節目了。
Jean: Yes, and you'd better go and find a new chair. 是的,你最好找一個新的椅子。
William: Yep and I'll be sure to check that my new chair is not wonky. 好的,我會確定一下我的新椅子是好的。
Jean: Ok and I'll remind everyone that they can visit our website www.bbcchina.com.cn for more Authentic Real English programmes. 好的,我想提醒聽眾朋友們來我們的網站做客,收聽更多的地道英語。
William: Thanks for that Jean. Bye. 謝謝啦,珍。下期見。