Jean: Hi, you're listening to Jean Dong and this is Authentic Real English. 嗨,你正在收聽的是董珍為你主持的地道英語節目。
Jo: I'm Jo, and today Jean and I are talking about a very important issue. 我是喬,今天我和珍在這兒討論一個非常重要的話題。
Jean: 是的,我們今天要談的是一個非常重要的問題。We're talking about make-up. Make-up 面部化妝。
Jo: Yes, that's right. We're talking about how much make-up women should wear. 是的,對了。我們正在討論女性化妝到什么程度比較好。
Jean: In the UK, lots of women wear make-up every day. 在英國,很多女人每天都要化妝。
Jo: Yes and some women wear too much make-up. 是的,有些化得太濃了。
Jean: Oh yes. 我也不喜歡有的女性臉上化太濃的 make-up.
Jo: When this happens, you might hear someone say... 如果這樣的,你可能會聽到有人說……
Example
She's got far too much slap on. 她的妝太濃了。
Jean: Slap! 這個人沒有說 make-up 而是用的 slap 這個詞。Listen again.
Jo: Yeah, sometimes you will hear someone talking about a woman with too much slap on. It's not a polite thing to say. 是的,有時你會聽到有人討論一個濃妝艷抹的女人。這么說不是很有禮貌。
Jean: 那這么說是不是太不禮貌了。
Jo: Yes, they're saying it looks bad. 是的,他們說看起來很糟糕。
Jean: 他們的意思是,濃妝艷抹的女人好像是把化妝品全部是 slapped on 拍在她們的臉上。To slap on是用來形容女人把厚厚的化妝品一股腦的都往臉上拍。Why would they say something so mean? Mean 欺負人的、苛刻的。
Jo: I don't know, they're just being mean. 我不知道,他們只是有點苛刻。
Jean: Are there any other words used like this? 還有其他的詞用來表達這個意思的嗎?
Jo: Well, we don't use many other words as synonyms for make-up. However we do have some interesting sayings about how someone has put their make-up on. 嗯,我們不用其他意思相近的詞來形容這種情況。但是,我們有些說法是說如何化妝的。
Jean: Such as... 比如……
Example
A: Did you see Linda at the party yesterday? 昨天你在聚會上看到琳達了嗎?
B: Oh yes, she looked terrible. She was caked in make-up. 哦,是的,她看上去很糟糕。她的妝太濃了。
A: When I first started wearing make-up, I had no idea how to apply it. 當我第一次開始化妝的時候,我不知道怎么用化妝品。
B: Or how much to apply. You used to trowel it on. 或者涂抹多少。你經常就只是把粉抹在臉上。
Jo: Caked in make-up.
Jean: To be caked in make-up. 就是說臉上涂的化妝品太厚了,簡直就像一個抹滿厚厚彩色奶油的蛋糕一樣。Cake 蛋糕。
Jo: To trowel it on.
Jean: To trowel it on. 臉上的就像用泥水匠的泥鏟子層層涂抹的一樣。Trowel 泥鏟、抹子。
Jo: So Jean, how would you describe my make-up? 所以說,珍,你會怎么描述我的妝呢?
Jean: I can't tell you're wearing make-up. 我看的出來你是花了妝的。
Jo: Good, I'm going for the natural look. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to say I had too much slap on. 好,我打算表現得自然一些。我確實不希望別人說我的妝太濃了。
Jean: Ah, Jo is going for the natural look. 素面朝天不化妝。
Jo: That's right. 對的。
Jean: Well, that's it for today. 希望大家也和我們一起好好享受了一下女孩子的一個熱門話題slap我是說make-up。
Jo: Yes, and before we go, just a quick reminder that you can visit our website www.bbcchina.com.cn for more Authentic Real English programmes. 是的,節目結束之前,再次提醒一下大家可以登錄我們的網站收聽地道英語節目。
Jean: Until next time, bye. 下次見,再見。
Jo: Bye. 再見。