William: Watch out, he is going to jump the gun again…
看,他又要搶跑了。
Yang Li: You don't know that yet, so don't you jump the gun.
你還不知道他是否搶跑,別著急。
William: Look, what did I say? He did jump the gun. It will have to start all over again now.
看,我說什么來著?他確實搶跑了。必須還得重新開始。
Yang Li: Yes, you are right. But could you just switch off the TV for two minutes please? It's time for Authentic Real English.
你說得對。但是你能將電視關掉一會兒嗎?到地道英語節目了。
William: Oh yes. Authentic Real English from bbcukchina.com. Hi, I am William Kremer.
Yang Li: 大家好我是楊莉。今天我們要學的短語是 to jump the gun, 最初來自體育比賽,意思是搶跑,搶跳。
William: Yes. It's a phrase that people might use when they are talking about a race, like a swimming race.
當人們談論比賽時會用到的短語,比如游泳比賽。
----------------
Example
Woman 1: The 100-metre freestyle was exciting. However, nearly every time someone jumped the gun.
一百米自由泳很令人激動,盡管如此,幾乎每次都有人搶跳。
Woman 2: Oh, that's a bit disappointing. But you enjoyed it, did you?
那有點令人失望。但是你很喜歡看游泳比賽,不是嗎?
Woman 1: Oh yes, it's my favourite sport.
是的,那是我最喜歡得運動。
William: If someone jumps the gun, it means that they start too soon, before the starting signal.
如果有人搶跳,那意思就是他們開始得太快了,比賽信號沒給就已經開始了。
Yang Li: Which can be quite frustrating for everyone including the audience.
那對于每個人來說包括觀眾都是很煩人的事。
William: More often nowadays, people use this phrase when someone says something or does something too soon, especially without thinking carefully about it.
如今更多的是,這個短語用來形容某人說東西或做事很匆忙,尤其是不加思考地做。
Yang Li: 你的意思是說,在沒有弄清情況之前就搶先說話或行動,是嗎?
William: Kind of. Let's hear some more examples.