impart-inbreeding An improvised alibi
臨時做出的辯解
Tommy Thompson implored the cop to impart mercy. He knew that the cop's first impulse
湯米.湯普森懇求警察 發點兒慈悲。 他知道警察的第一沖動
was to accept the easiest answer to a crime, but to imply that Tommy was guilty would have been wrong;
是接受對案情的最容易 的解釋, 但是如果暗示湯米有 罪那就錯了,
Tommy didn't do it. He had to come up with an impressive argument
因為不是湯米干的。 他得想出一些給人深 刻印象的說辭
to put the implication off himself. He had to improvise an alibi.
擺脫干系。 他只好臨時瞎編一個不 在犯罪現場的證據。
"I was over at my sister's home last night, really!" The cop gave Tommy an impatient look but kept listening.
"我昨晚去了我妹妹家 里, 真的!" 警察不耐煩地看了湯米 一眼, 但還是洗耳恭聽
"And I, and I, and I went over to the bar for an impromptu meeting with my friends.
"我, 我, 我去了酒吧, 臨時碰到 了幾個朋友。
And, and, then we inaugurated a new tradition of drinking three shots of whisky
后, 后, 后來我們開始玩一個新 花樣:喝三小杯 威士忌。
while standing on our heads. And, and that was why I was so drunk
倒立著. 因, 因, 因此我喝得爛 醉,
that I could not have possibly have done it, officer!" The imposing cop looked down at Tommy and had the impression that,
所以不可能是我干的, 警官!" 威嚴的警察低頭看著湯 米, 他的感覺是
while this alibi may be a lie, Tommy really was innocent. "What an inauthentic piece of nonsense!" He said,
雖然這個證據可能是謊 言, 但湯米確實是清白 的。 "你可真會講假話!" 警察說,
knowing it was still imperative that he lock someone up to calm the public down "I have the impetus to take you down town
他知道仍有必要扣押一 個人以平息公眾的情緒 "我有一種推動力, 要把你帶到市中心去,
and impose some pain on you until you tell me the truth." Tommy began to shiver.
給你嘗點兒苦頭, 看你說不說實話。" 湯米開始哆嗦起來。
Inbreeding among policemen must really be true; this cop was more stupid than a cow!
警察之間近親結婚的 傳言一定是真的, 因為這位警察比奶牛 更蠢!
"But if you get out of here, go back to your impoverished home and not impede my investigation any further.
"但是如果你離開這里, 滾回你那個窮家, 別再妨礙我辦案,
I'll forget I ever met you!" Tommy understood the implicit opportunity to leave
我就當我沒見過你!" 湯米明白這是不言明的 離開機會,
and implemented his immediate departure. "I guess cops aren't so dumb after all."
他立刻執行了離開的 命令。 "我想警察還是沒有 那么笨。"
He thought as he left the street and headed home.
他一邊想一邊離開大 街往家中走去。