Well,most people think that lions only come from Africa.
大多數人認為獅子都是來自非洲。
And you would be forgiven for thinking this,because in fact most lions do come from Africa.
你這么想也沒錯。因為事實的確如此。
But this hasn't always been the case.
但是情況并非一直如此。
If we go back ten thousand years we would find that there were lions roaming vast sections of the globe.
如果時光倒退到一萬年前,我們會發現,全球大部分地區都有獅子的身影。
But now,unfortunately,only very small sections of the lions' former habitat remain.
然而不幸的是,獅子的原棲息地現在只剩下極少的一部分。
My particular interest is Asiatic lions,which are a sub-species of African lions.
我對亞洲獅特別感興趣。它們是非洲獅的亞種。
It's almost a hundred thousand years since the Asiatic lions split off and developed as a sub-species.
約十萬年前,亞洲獅從中分離出去,并發展成為亞種。
At one time Asiatic lion was living as far west as Greece
亞洲獅曾經生活在遙遠的西方,希臘。
and they were found from there, in a band that spread east through various countries of the Middle East,all the way to India.
人們發現,它們從希臘開始,成群地往東邊擴散,穿越多個中東國家,來到印度。
In museums, you can now see Greek coins that have clear images of the Asiatic lion on them.
如今在博物館里,你會看到有清晰亞洲獅圖案的希臘錢幣。