What is it actually like at the South Pole?
南極到底是什么樣?
I know you've been there on a numer of occasions.
我知道你去過那里很多次。
Yes,I have and each time I'm struck by the awesome beauty of the place.
是的,每一次我都被那里令人敬畏的美麗打動。
It's magnificent but you can really only visit it in the summer munths. October to March.
很壯麗,但是你只能在夏季去那里。十月到三月。
Yes,because it's completely dark for four months of the year...and in addition it has to be the coldest place on earth.
是的,因為一年中有四個月是完全黑暗的,它也是地球上最冷的地方。
Colder than the North Pole?Why's that?
比北極還冷?為什么會這樣?
Well,unlike the North Pole,which is actually a frozen sea,Antarctica is a land mass shaped like a dome,
它不像北極是冰凍之海,南極像一塊圓頂形的陸地,
with the result that the winds blow down the slopes at speeds of up to 150km an hour and that's what makes it so cold.
風從斜坡上以每小時150公里的時速吹下,使這里變得極為寒冷。
And one other interesting thing is that Antarctica is the driest continent on earth, surprisingly,
而且另一件有趣的事情是南極洲竟然是地球上最干旱的大洲,
and so you have to drink large amounts of water when you're there.
所以當你抵達那里后得喝大量的水。
How old is Antarctica?
南極洲多大了?
We're pretty sure it was part of a larger land mass but is broke away from the rest of the continent 170 million years ago.
我們確認它曾是一塊大陸的一部分,但是在1.7億年前與剩下的大洲斷開了。
How can you be certain of this?
你怎么能這么確定?
beacuse fossils and rocks have been discovered in Antarctica which are the same as those found in places such as Africa and Australia.
因為在南極洲發現的化石和巖石與在非洲、澳洲等地發現的一樣。
Amazing...To think that it was once attached to Africa...
太神奇了,想到它曾經與非洲相連。