Moving to Canada meant making some big adjustments to my life.
到加拿大讀書,意味著我的人生要做一些很大的調整。
Although I knew everybody has to leave their nest at some point,
雖然我知道每個人到了一定的時候都得離開家,
leaving my family was the hardest part, and some people cannot handle being away from home.
但對我而言,離開家是最痛苦的一個過程;還有些人離開家以后甚至不知所措。
To help myself adjust, I set up e-mail addresses for my mum and dad so that I could e-mail them regularly.
為使自己調整,我幫媽媽和爸爸申請了郵箱地址,這樣我就能定期給他們寫郵件。
However, during my first year at university,
然而,在我上大學的第一年,
I was so busy studying and meeting new people that I did not write to my family as often as I should have.
我忙于學習和交新朋友,每當我要寫信時,我都沒有給家人寫信。
When I went home for the holidays, I felt a bit like a lost son returning.
我回國度假時,我感覺有點像回家的浪子。
Another big change was the food.
另一個大變化就是食物。
When I first came to Canada, I found the food a bit strange.
我起初來加拿大時,我發現食物有點奇怪。
I did not like eating so much meat or food that had been fried.
我不喜歡吃很多油炸的肉和食物。
Now I am getting used to Canadian food, and believe it or not, my new favourite food is pepper steak.
現在我已慢慢適應加拿大食物,信不信由你,最近我最喜歡的食物是青椒牛排。
Before I left home, my mother showed me how to use a stove and a rice cooker,
在我離開家之前,我母親教我如何用電爐和電飯煲,
and she taught me how to cook some simple dishes such as noodles, fried bean curd and garlic with vegetables.
她還教我做一些簡單的菜,諸如面條,油豆腐和蔬菜炒大蒜。
Now, whenever I want to eat Chinese food, I can cook for myself, though usually I do all of my cooking in the microwave.
現在每當我想吃中國食物時,我會自己做,雖然我經常是用微波爐做飯。