Suddenly, we went over the edge. I thought my life was over.
突然,我們越過邊緣。我想我沒命了。
But moment after moment passed, and I was still safe.
但時間一點點過去,而我仍安然無恙。
The boat was on the inside of the huge whirlpool and we were going round in circles at great speed.
船在巨大的漩渦里面,而我們在漩渦里高速旋轉。
I saw clearly that there were other objects in the whirlpool - trees and barrels.
我清楚地看到漩渦里有其他物體-大樹和桶。
I noticed that the heavier objects went down more quickly than the smaller, lighter ones.
我注意到較重的物體比較小、較輕的物體下落要快。
So I tied myself to a barrel to help me float.
所以,我把自己綁在一個桶上幫我飄浮。
I tried to make my brother understand, but he was terrified and stayed in the heavy boat.
我努力使我哥哥明白這一點,但他十分恐懼,呆坐在沉重的木船里。
Without waiting, I dived into the sea to try and escape.
沒有再等,我跳進海里逃生。
As you can see, I did escape.
如你所見,我真地逃生了。
I will bring my story quickly to a conclusion.
我的故事很快就結束了。
Some time after I left the boat, with my brother in it, it sank into the bottom of the whirlpool.
我離開以后的某個時間,船載著我哥哥沉到漩渦的底部。
Soon afterwards, the whirlpool became less violent.
后來不久,漩渦沒那么猛烈了。
Then the sky was clear, the wind calmer and the moon was shining.
接著,天空晴朗,風小了,月亮也出來了。
I was still tied to the barrel and the waves soon carried me to an area where the other fishermen were.
我還綁著桶,一會兒,浪把我帶到一個有很多漁夫的地方。
In the end, a boat picked me up. I was very tired.
最后,一條船把我救了。我疲憊不堪。
The fishermen were my old friends, but they were unable to recognise me.
這些漁民是我的老朋友,但他們認不出我了。
When I told them my story, they did not believe it.
我跟他們講我的故事是,他們不相信我。
Now I have told you, and I cannot expect you to believe me more than the fishermen did.
現在我已經告訴你了,而我也不期望你能比那些漁民相信我。
(Adapted from A Descent into the Maelstrom by Edgar Allan Poe)
(根據埃德加·愛倫·坡的《卷入大漩渦》改編)