When I Grow up
當我長大的時候
In kindergarten, my class was asked,
在幼兒園時,老師問我們:
“What do you want to be when you grow up?”
“你們長大了想干什么?”
Crayons danced across sheets of paper to illustrate our dream jobs.
彩色蠟筆在紙上飛舞,描繪著我們夢想的工作。
Our drawings were hung in the hallway for our parents to see at Back to School Night.
我們的畫被掛在走廊里,好讓我們的父母在“返校之夜”可以看到。
I remember looking down the line
我記得放眼望去,
and seeing pictures of ballet dancers dancing,
有的畫上是正在跳舞的芭蕾舞演員,
firefighters putting out a big fire,
有的是正在撲滅大火的消防員,
and spacemen leaping across the moon—
有的是正在月球上跳躍行走的宇航員,
jobs that were seen as typical dreams of five-year-olds.
這些工作都是五歲孩子夢想中的工作。
My picture showed a stick figure with brown hair holding a bottle of orange juice over something like a counter.
我畫的是一個留著棕色頭發的人物線條,她站在柜臺前,手里拿著一瓶橙汁。
Underneath was my hardly readable handwriting:
畫的下面是我那難以辨認的字:
When I grow up, I want to work at the Market Basket
長大后,我想在“購物籃”雜貨店工作,
because it would be fun to swipe orange juice across the scanner at the checkout counter.
因為在收銀臺旁邊用掃描儀掃橙汁的條形碼會很有趣。
To this day, my parents won’t let me forget
至今,我的父母都沒有讓我忘記:
that out of everything I could have wished to be,
在所有我可以希望擁有的工作當中,
my five-year-old self wished to work at the local grocery store.
五歲的我只是想在當地的食品雜貨店工作。