Mr Crowther reflected.
克勞瑟先生想了一想說:
"I don't know that I have; but then, to the best of my recollection, I've never seen a man eat a raw turnip in the train or dance a Highland Fling during family prayers for that matter.
“我沒見過;但是據我回憶,我也從未看見過一個人在火車上吃生蘿卜,或者在家人禱告時跳蘇格蘭高地舞。
But what of it?
但是,那又怎樣?
If one allowed oneself to be surprised at anything, however insignificant, one's whole life would consist of a series of trivial astonishments."
如果一個人允許自己對任何無關緊要的事都驚奇的話,那么他的整個生命都將由一系列微不足道的驚奇構成。”
"And you think it an insignificant act to throw one's suitcase out of a railway-carriage window?"
“那你認為把手提箱扔出火車窗外是一件微不足道的事情嗎?”
"Totally!" said Mr Crowther, and his eyes again sought his book.
“完全正確! ”克勞瑟先生回答道,接著他的目光又投向了書本。
"Then what, if I may ask," said the other, evidently somewhat nettled, "would you consider a significant act?"
“那么,我是否可以問一下,”對方說道,明顯有點兒被激怒了,“你認為什么是重要的事?”
Mr Crowther shrugged his shoulders wearily.
克勞瑟先生厭倦地聳了聳肩:
"Perhaps I would have thought it significant if the suitcase had been mine."
“如果那個手提箱是我的,我可能會認為它很重要?!?/div>
"I see.
“我明白了。
You think yourself more important than me."
你認為你自己比我重要。”