"On the contrary," said Mr Crowther, "nothing could be more natural."
“正好相反,”克勞瑟先生說,“沒有比這更正常的事了。”
Mr Harraby-Ribston was somewhat taken aback.
哈利比-里伯斯頓先生有點驚訝:“正常?
"Natural? You think it natural? I must say, you surprise me."
你認為這很正常?我不得不說,你讓我吃驚。”
"You seem to me," said Mr Crowther, "a man much given to surprise."
“在我看來,”克勞瑟先生說,“你是一個很愛吃驚的人。”
"While you, I take it," Mr Harraby-Ribston snapped back, "pride yourself on being surprised by nothing."
“而你呢?在我看來,”哈利比-里伯斯頓先生反駁道,“是以不對任何事情感到驚訝而自豪的人。”
"Not at all!" replied Mr Crowther.
“根本不是,”克羅德先生回答說,
"The point is, I think that we are surprised by different things.
“問題在于我認為我們會因為不同的事物而感到驚訝。
You tell me you've been married for twenty-one years and then expect me to be surprised when you add that you're now leaving your wife.
你告訴我你已經結婚21年了,在你又說到你正在離開你的妻子時你期望我能夠感到驚訝。
But, my dear sir, I find nothing surprising about that.
但是,親愛的先生,對于這種事情我一點也不感到驚訝,
What does surprise me is that you've been so long in doing so."
而真正使我吃驚的是,你結婚這么久之后才決定離開妻子。”