Mr Harraby-Ribston considered this view.
哈利比-里伯斯頓先生想了想他說的話。
"I take it," he said at last, "that you're not, yourself, a married man."
“我想,”他最后說,“你不是一個已婚男人。”
"Not now," Mr Crowther replied.
“現在不是了,”克勞瑟先生回答道。
"Not now? You mean you've been married and you've left your wife?"
“現在不是?你的意思是說你結過婚,而現在離開了你的妻子?”
"Not quite that.
“不完全是那樣。
Leaving one's wife involves leaving one's home, and that was out of the question.
離開自己的妻子就要離開家,那是不可能的,
I'm very fond of my home;
我很愛我的家,
a charming house, a charming garden, and doubly charming nowadays when I have them to myself."
一所很漂亮的房子、一個美麗的花園,而現在當我獨自擁有時,它們就加倍美麗了。”
"You mean, then, that you turned your wife out?"
“那么你的意思是,你趕走了你的妻子?”
"O no, no! That would have involved all sorts of unpleasantness."
“哦,不,不,那樣做會涉及各種各樣不快的事。”
"Then what," asked Mr Harraby-Ribston, all curiosity once more, "what did you do?"
“那是什么,”哈利比-里伯斯頓先生問道,他又一次表現出極大的好奇,“你做了什么?”