But Mr Harraby-Ribston had reached a point at which he must either speak or burst and, preferring the former alternative,
但是,哈利比-里怕斯頓先生卻已到了不說出來就要爆發的地步,因此,他還是發話了。
he said: "Excuse me, sir, but I must say, you surprise me."
他說:“打擾了,先生,但是我不得不說,你使我感到驚奇。”
Mr Crowther raised a languid eye from his book.
克勞瑟先生從他的書上抬起了倦怠的眼睛。
"Surprise you?" he said.
“讓你驚奇? ”他說,
"Does reading in the train surprise you?"
“在火車上讀書讓你感到驚奇?”
"No, no!" said Mr Harraby-Ribston.
“不,不! ”哈利比-里伯斯頓回答道,
"I wasn't referring to that.
“我不是指那個,
What surprises me is that you weren't surprised when I threw my suitcase out of the window."
讓我驚奇的是當我把手提箱扔出窗外時,你卻沒有感到驚奇。”
"Indeed? That surprised you? You're very easily surprised."
“真的嗎?讓你感到吃驚了?你也太容易吃驚了。”
"I don't know about that.
“這我倒沒有意識到。
Surely, surely, my dear sir, it was, to say the least of it, an unusual sight.
不過,我敢肯定,親愛的先生,這至少可以說是不尋常的一幕吧。
I dare bet you've never before seen a man throw a suitcase from the window of a moving train."
我敢打賭你以前從未見過一個人在行駛的火車上往窗外扔手提箱吧。”