"Who is that in the uniform?" the boy asked.
“穿制服的這個人是誰?”男孩問道。
"He's a soldier," she answered without looking up.
“他是一名士兵,”她回答道,并沒有抬頭。
"Oh," said the boy. "But who is he?"
“噢,”男孩說,“但是,他是誰呢?”
"He was a friend of mine before you were born," she said. Then added, "Do I smell something cooking? Take your stamps and off you go. That's the boy."
“他是我的一位朋友,那時你還沒出生,”她說。然后她補充道:“我是不是聞到做飯的味道了?拿著你的郵票下樓去吧。這才是我的好孩子。”
The boy looked at the back of the picture of the man and saw in black spidery ink "John, Aug' 15 Ballintoye."
男孩看了看那張照片的背面,看到上面有細長的黑色墨跡“約翰,8月15日,巴林托伊”。
"I thought maybe it was Brother Benignus," he said. She looked at him not answering.
“我想他可能是貝尼格納斯兄弟,”他說道。她看著他,沒有回答。
"Was your friend killed in the war?"
“你的朋友是在戰(zhàn)爭中犧牲了嗎?”
At first she said no, but then she changed her mind.
一開始她說沒有,但是后來她改變了說法。
"Perhaps he was," she said, then smiled. "You are too inquisitive. Put it to use and go and see what is for tea. Your mother will need the kettle." She came over to the bureau and helped tidy the photographs away. Then she locked it and put the keys on the shelf.
“也許是的,”她說,然后笑了,“你好奇心太強了。把它用在正道上,去看看要不要沏茶。 你媽媽需要這個水壺。”她來到書桌旁,幫忙把那些照片收拾起來。然后把它們鎖了起來,把鑰匙放在了架子上。
"Will you bring me up my tray?"
“你能把我的托盤拿上來嗎?”
The boy nodded and left.
男孩點了點頭,離開了。