Such is the life or death of an infantry soldier in France in the summer of 1944.
這就是1944年夏天一個步兵在法國經歷的生和死的考驗。
These actions will be repeated many times...
這些行動會不斷重復多次……
the scenery will change, from small fields separated by hedgerows to a flat landscape with windmills to a forest covered with snow.
只是周遭景物不同,從灌木樹籬分隔開的小塊農田到遍布風車的遼闊平原,再到白雪皚皚的森林地帶。
The soldiers will pass through villages.
士兵們穿過座座村莊,
Now they are on the banks of a river, and rowing across in rubber boats.
此時來到河畔,劃著橡皮艇渡河。
Finally they are among mountains.
他們最終又挺進到崇山峻嶺之間。
I was discharged from the US Army in 1945 and went home.
1945年,我從美國陸軍復員回家鄉,
I returned to the university.
重返大學讀書。
I have a vague recollection of sitting with other students in a room—only a few around a long table.
我還模糊地記得,我和其他學生一起坐在一間教室里——其實只是幾個學生圍坐在一張長桌子旁邊,正在討論著某部名著。
Some great book was being discussed; it was the course for upper division students known as the Colloquium.
這門課是高年級學生上的,被稱作“學術研討會”。
I was reading furiously about... everything.
我在如饑似渴地閱讀著各類書籍。
When I was not reading I was writing stories, essays, poems...
我不看書時便寫小說、散文、詩歌……