They weren't moving; I wasn't moving. They just stared, brown eyes looking blankly into my own.
它們不再挪動,我也絲毫不動。它們只是盯著我,棕色的眼睛茫然地望著我的眼睛。
They were obviously very perplexed to find me here.
很顯然,它們對于在這兒發現我感到十分困惑。
Suddenly, I was very perplexed to find me here, too.
忽然間,我也對發現我自己在這兒感到不可思議了。
"Imagine this," one of them seemed to be saying. "A grown man sleeping out in Central Park!"
“想象一下,”其中一個好像在說,“一個成年人竟然露宿在中央公園!”
"Obviously, not from New York."
“他顯然不是紐約人。”
"Hi, guys," I muttered. I said this very softly.
“喂,伙計們。”我低語道,我說話聲音很輕。
My voice startled them and they scurried up the tree in front of me.
我的聲音嚇了它們一跳,它們急忙爬到我前面的樹上。
Then they stopped and resumed staring. And then, very slowly, they inched farther up.
然后它們停了下來,繼續盯著我,然后非常緩慢地一點一點往上爬。
They were now about forty feet directly above me, and the tree was swaying slightly with their weight.
它們此時就在我頭上40英尺高的地方,樹干在它們的壓力下微微擺動起來。
It was starting to drizzle.
天開始下起了毛毛雨。
I heard a helicopter, its searchlight crisscrossing the path only ten feet away.
我聽見一架直升機的轟鳴聲,機上的探照燈交叉著照在距我約10英尺遠的小道上。
So maybe there were bad guys.
也許有壞家伙。
I looked back at the raccoons. "Are there bad guys here?" I asked them.
我扭頭看看浣熊。“這里有壞家伙嗎?”我問它們。
It was stupid to speak. My voice startled them and, directly overhead, one of them started peeing.
我真蠢,不該講話。我的聲音又讓它們受驚了,一個家伙竟然在我的頭頂上撒起尿來。
And then, nature finding herself unable to resist, it started to pour.
緊接著,大自然也實在憋不住了,下起了大雨。
But not for long. The rain stopped. And I fell asleep.
可是沒過多久,雨停了。我睡著了。
I know I fell asleep because the next thing I heard was birds. A natural, naturally beautiful sound.
我知道我睡著了,因為接下來我聽見了鳥鳴。一種自然天成、美妙動聽的聲音。