I walked and walked. Around one-thirty, I entered the North Woods, and made my way down to what my map would later tell me was a stream called the Loch.
我在不停地走著,走著。大約1點半時,我進入了北部的樹林,一路走下去,來到我后來從地圖上得知叫做洛赫的一條溪流。
The stream was loud, sounding more like a river than a stream.
這條溪流水聲很大,聽起來更像一條大河。
And for the first time that night the city disappeared: no buildings, no lights, no sirens.
這天夜里城市第一次從視野里消失了;沒有建筑物,沒有照明,也沒有警報聲。
I was tired. I had been walking for a long time.
我不停地走了這么久,實在太疲勞了。
I wanted to unroll my sleeping bag, out of view of the police, and fall asleep.
想打開睡袋,在警察的視線之外睡上一覺。
I was looking forward to dawn and being awakened by birds.
我在期待黎明,盼望著被小鳥叫醒。
I made my way down a ravine. A dirt trail appeared on my left. This looked promising.
我順著一個深谷往下走。在我的左側出現了一條土路。這地方看起來不錯。
I followed it, and it wound its way down to the stream.
我順著這條土路走下去,它蜿蜒而下通到溪邊。
I looked back: I couldn't see the trail; it was blocked by trees.
我回頭一看,已無法看到這條路,因為它已被樹木遮蓋了。
This was good. Secluded. I walked on. It flattened out and I could put a sleeping bag here.
這個地方好極了。又僻靜。我又往前走,小道平緩了,我可以在這里鋪上睡袋了。
This was good, too. Yes: good. There were fireflies, even at this hour,
這個地方也不錯,是挺好的甚至在這個時辰還有螢火蟲,
and the place was so dark and so densely shrouded by the trees overhead that the light of the fireflies was hugely magnified;
這個地方太黑了,頭上又被茂密的樹木掩蔽起來,使得螢火蟲的亮度大大加強了,
their abdomens pulsed like great yellow flashlights.
它們的腹部有節奏地跳動著,發出的黃光活像手電筒中的光。