The Great Wave of 2040
2040的巨浪
Calvin, a student at Success College, wrote a story set in 2040.
成功學院的一名學生凱文寫了一篇以2040年為背景的故事。
I have always been frightened of water.
我一直就害怕水。
Last week in Geography, we learnt that if all the ice in Antarctica melted, a great wave, thirty metres high, would hit our city.
上周的地理課上,我們了解到,如果南極洲的冰川融化,將會有30米高的巨浪襲擊我們的城市。
I started to worry. What would happen then?
我開始擔憂了。那時會發生什么事情呢?
People would run to high ground... Perhaps my family and I would be lucky because we live in a high flat.
人們會向高地跑……也許我和家人會幸運一些,因為我們住在高層公寓里。
Last night, I had a dream about the Great Wave...
昨晚,我做了個關于巨浪的夢……
In my dream, water was pouring everywhere. It was pouring into Luck Valley.
夢里,到處都是發洪水。水也沖進了幸運谷。
I could see it from my window as it crossed the railway and covered the sports field at the nearby university.
我可以透過窗戶看到水漫過了鐵路和附近大學的操場。
At the end of the valley, the water went up the hills, and some of it even went into the tunnel.
在谷底的四周,水沒過丘陵,有些甚至流進了隧道。
But I couldn't just stand here! I must do something! Yes, at course! I used my mobile phone to e-mail my dad at work.
但我不能只站在那里!我必須得做點什么!是的,當然得做!我用手機給在工作的爸爸發了一封電子郵件。
He worked at an import-export business.
他在一家進出口貿易公司上班。
I wrote, 'Dad, there's a flood, what can we do?'
我寫到,“爸爸,發洪水了,我們該怎么辦?”
I got an e-mail back from Dad. It said, I'm very busy now. I have just exported a lot of fish to the USA and made a big profit...'
我收到了爸爸的電子郵件回信。上面寫著,我現在非常忙。我剛剛出口了一批魚到美國,利潤很大……”
I tried our school website. 'What are you doing about the flood?' I asked.
我試了試學校的網站。“發生洪水時,你正在做什么?”我問。
The reply came. 'Our school has more students than ever. Last year, ...' I stopped reading. I shouted, 'The WATER! Look at the WATER!'
回復說,“我們學校的學生比往年多。去年……”我停下不讀了。我大喊道:“水!看水!”
But nobody looked. Everywhere, people just sat at their computers.
但是沒有一個人看。無論是哪里,人人都只是坐在電腦前。
They sat at their computers in offices, in shops and in homes.
辦公室里、商店里、家里,人們都是坐在電腦前。
They did not want to leave them.
他們不想離開電腦。
Computers were more important than the flood.
電腦比洪水更重要。
Very soon, the water came into people's rooms.
很快,水沖進了人們的家里。
It poured onto their desks. All the hi-tech machines got wet.
沖到了他們的桌子上。所有的高科技產品都濕了。
Finally, it covered the computers.
最后,水淹沒了電腦。
Only then did people notice the flood. But it was too late.
只有那時,人們才注意到了洪水。但是太遲了。
Even with all the computers in our city, the flood couldn't be stopped.
即使是用上城里的全部電腦,洪水還是沒有被制止。
And then I opened my eyes. There was no water.
那時,我醒了。沒有水。
The year was not 2040, It was 2011.
時間也不是2040年,而是2011年。
I remembered that our city was protected by some sea walls 50 metres high and felt safe.
我想起我們的城市周圍有一些50米高的海墻保護著,感覺很安全。
But would a flood really happen like this one day?
但是將來洪水會不會真的發生呢?
And would we be so busy with our computers that we would do nothing to save ourselves?
我們真的只忙于電腦,不采取什么措施來保護自己嗎?