My name is Danielle. I'm in Grade 9 this year,
我名叫丹尼爾。今年上九年級,
and I'm president of the student council at my school.
我是學校的學生會主席。
Most junior high schools in Canada have a student council.
加拿大的大多數高中都有學生會。
Members of the councils are chosen by students.
學生會成員都由學生們選出。
Student councils work to make schools better places to learn.
學生會的工作讓學校變得更好。
In the council, we share our ideas, interests and concerns with teachers and others.
在學生會,我們與老師和其他學生分享我們的想法,興趣愛好及關心的事情。
Sometimes, we plan school-wide activities.
有時候,我們規劃全校性的活動。
In December, we decided to raise money for an organization that provides food for poor people in our city.
十二月份,我們決定給一個組織募捐,這個組織給城市里的窮人提供食物。
How did we get the money?
我們怎樣得到錢呢?
We organized a special basketball game in the school gym.
我們在學校體育館組織一次特殊的籃球比賽。
Lots of students and their parents came to watch.
很多學生和他們的父母來觀賽。
We sold tickets and, in the end, we made about $300.
我們出售門票,并且,最終,我們籌得300元。
During student council meetings, we have to work together,
在學生會的會議上,我們不得不一起工作,
but it's not always easy for us to reach an agreement.
但是對我們來說達成一致并不總是一件很容易的事情。
The students are from many different cultures.
學生們來自不同文化背景。
We have different religions, wear different clothes or speak different languages at home.
我們有著不同的宗教,穿著不同的衣服或是在家說著不同的語言。
Sometimes there are serious disputes.
有時候會產生嚴重的沖突。
Anyway, we are all friends, so we try hard to understand each other.
無論如何,我們都是朋友,因此我們努力互相理解。
I think we should work together towards peace in our schools and in the world.
我想我們應該一起努力營造校園乃至世界的和平。
We need to learn about different countries and make friends with people from other cultures.
我們需要了解不同國家,與來自其他文化背景的人們做朋友。