Lesson 27 Business English
第27課 商務英語
English is the language of international business.
英語是國際商務的常用語。
Do you know that business English can be different from everyday English?
你知道商務英語與日常英語是不同的嗎?
In business, people sometimes speak English in interesting ways.
在商務活動中,人們有時候通過有趣的方式講英語。
You might not always know what they mean.
你可能常常不知道它們是什么意思。
Can you guess the meanings of the sentences below?
你能猜出下面句子的意思嗎?
Look at this one:Buy low,sell high.
看這句話:低買高賣。
It’s a short and simple sentence.
這是一句簡短簡單的句子。
Buy something at a low price,and then sell it at a high price.
以低價買東西,然后以高價賣出。
It makes sense, right?
它很有意思,對嗎?
What does we're in the red this month mean?“
我們這個月是赤字”是什么意思?
Does it mean everyone is wearing red clothes?
是說每個人穿著紅色的衣服嗎?
No! It means the business is losing money.
不!它的意思是生意在虧錢。
Business people usually write red numbers below zero and black numbers above zero.
生意人通常用紅色的數字表示復數,黑色的數字表示正數
Pretty simple, right?
很簡單,對嗎?
I am moving up the ladder may be difficult to understand.
“我在上臺階”可能較難理解。
It means a person gets a better job or a better position at work.
它的意思是一個人得到了更好的工作或更好的職位。
If someone tells you he or she is moving up the ladder, you should congratulate this person.
如果有人告訴你他/她在上臺階,你應該恭喜這個人。
How about I have to beef up my report?
那么“補充我的報告”是什么意思?
We know that beef is meat from cows.
我們知道牛肉是來自牛身上的肉。
If you "beef something up",
如果你“補充某物”,
you make it big and strong -- like a cow!
你就是讓它變得大而壯——像頭牛!
This sentence means "I have to make my report stronger".
這句話的意思是“我需要充實一下我的報告”。
There are many more interesting business terms including:He's a fat cat (He's a rich person);
還有很多有趣的商務術語,例如:他是一只肥貓(他是一位有錢人);
and They cook the books (They steal money by making changes to the company's accounts).
他們在煮書(他們通過修改公司的賬目來偷錢)。
Have you heard of any other business terms or sayings?
你還聽過別的商務術語或俗語嗎?