Recording Two
錄音二
Good morning, ladies and gentlemen!
女士們,先生們,早上好!
And welcome to the third in our series of business seminars in the program-Doing Business Abroad.
歡迎來到海外業務第三系列商業研討會。
Today we are going to look at intercultural awareness, that is, the fact that not everyone is British, not everyone speaks English,
今天我們來談談跨文化意識,也就是說,不是每個人都來自英國,不是每個人都說英語,
and not everyone does business in the British way. And why should they?
并不是每個人都采用英國人做生意的方式。他們為什么這樣做呢?
If overseas business people are selling to us, then they will make every effort to speak English and to respect our-traditions and methods.
如果外國商人來英國做生意,他們會盡力說英語且尊重英國的傳統及做事方式,
It is only polite for us to do the same when we visit them. It is not only polite.
如果英國人想要去其他國家做生意,出于禮貌也應該尊重對方的傳統。
It is essential if we want to sell British products overseas.
如果我們想把英國產品銷往海外,這是至關重要的。
First, a short quiz. Let's see how interculturally aware you are.
首先是一個小測驗,讓我們看看你的跨文化意識有多強。
Question 1: Where must you not drink alcohol on the first and seventh of every month?
問題1:每個月的第一個月和第七個月你不能在哪里喝酒?
Question 2: Where should you never admire your host's possessions?
問題2:哪個地方不應該欣賞主人的東西?
Question 3: How should you attract the waiter during a business lunch in Bangkok?
問題3:曼谷有一次商務午餐,你應該如何吸引服務員?
And Question 4: Where should you try to make all your appointments either before 2:00 or after 5:30 p.m.?
問題4:下午2點之前或者下午5點半之后你應該在哪里安排所有的約會?
OK. Everyone had a chance to make some notes? Right.
每個人都有機會做筆記嗎?
Here are the answers-although I am sure that the information could equally well apply to countries other than those I have chosen.
以下是答案——我相信這些資料除了適用于我選的這些國家,同樣適用于各國,
So No.1, you must not drink alcohol on the first and seventh of the month in India.
第1題,在印度,每個月的第一天和第七天你都不能喝酒。
In international hotels you may find it served,
你會發現國際飯店供應酒水,
but if you are having a meal with an Indian colleague, remember to avoid asking for a beer if your arrival coincides with one of those dates.
但如果你是在這兩個日子里和印度同事一起吃飯,記得不要點啤酒。
2. In Arab countries, the politeness and generosity of the people is without parallel.
第2題,阿拉伯國家的人們是無比禮貌和慷慨的。
If you admire your colleague's beautiful golden bowls, you may well find yourself being presented with them as a present.
如果你很欣賞同事漂亮的金碗,他們很有可能會把東西送給你。
This is not a cheap way to do your shopping,however,
這不是一種便宜的購物方式,
as your host will, quite correctly, expect you to respond by presenting him with a gift of equal worth and beauty.
你的主人也會期待你送一份同樣美麗有價值的禮物作為回贈。
In Thailand, clicking the fingers, clapping your hands, or just shouting "Waiter!"
在泰國,敲手指、拍手、或者大喊“服務員!”
will embarrass your hosts, fellow diners, the waiter himself and, most of all, you!
會讓東道主、其他客人、服務員、最主要是讓你難堪!”
Place your palm downward and make an inconspicuous waving gesture, which will produce instant and satisfying results.
掌心向下,做一個不顯眼的手勢,會產生即時的滿意效果。
And finally, in Spain, some businesses maintain the pattern of working until about 2 o'clock and then returning to the office from 5:30 to 8:00, 9:00 or 10:00 in the evening.
最后,在西班牙,一些企業通常會在下午兩點下班,然后到晚上五點半再上班,上到晚上八點、九點或者十點。
Questions 19 to 21 are based on the recording you have just heard.
根據你剛才聽到的錄音回答19-21題。
19. What should you do when doing business with foreigners?
問題19:和外國人做生意你應該做什么?
20. What must you avoid doing with your Indian colleague?
問題20:和你的印度同事共事你必須避免做什么?
21. What do we learn about some Spanish business people?
問題21:關于西班牙商人,我們了解到了什么?