Recording Two
錄音二
The thin,extremely sharp needles didn't hurt at all going in.
細細的尖針扎進去一點也不疼。
Dr. Gong pierced them into my left arm, around the elbow that had been bothering me.
龔醫生把針扎進了我一直就感覺很不舒服的左手肘。
Other needles were slipped into my left wrist and, strangely,
隨后把針扎入了左手腕,此后的動作就感覺到很奇怪了,
into my right arm, and then into both my closed eyelids.
因為龔大夫也在我的右手臂以及雙眼瞼扎入了針。
There wasn't, any discomfort, just a mild warming sensation.
但我沒有感到任何不適,只有輕微暖暖的感覺。
However, I did begin to wonder what had driven me here,
然而,我開始懷疑是什么驅使我來到這里。
to the office of Dr. James Gong in New York's Chinatown.
來到紐約唐人街詹姆斯·龔醫生的辦公室。
Then I remembered—the torturing pain in that left elbow.
然后我想起——我的左肘感到難受,
Several trips to a hospital and two expensive, uncomfortable medical tests had failed to produce even a diagnosis.
但是去了好幾次醫院,做了幾項又貴又難挨的醫療檢查之后,醫生都未能做出診斷,
"Maybe you lean on your left arm too much",the doctor concluded, suggesting I see a bone doctor.
“也許你的左臂用太多了”,醫生說道,他推薦我去看骨科大夫,
During the hours spent waiting in vain to see a bone doctor, I decided to take another track and try acupuncture.
等待看骨科大夫的時候,他決定嘗試一下中醫的針刺療法。
A Chinese-American friend recommended Dr. Gong.
一位美籍華人朋友向我推薦了龔醫生。
I took the subway to Gong's second-floor office marked with a hand-painted sign.
我乘地鐵來到二樓帶著手繪標志的龔醫生的辦公室。
Dr. Gong speaks English,but not often.
龔醫生講英語,但說的不多。
Most of my questions to him were greeted with a friendly laugh,
我問他的大多數問題的回應都是友好的笑聲,
but I managed to let him know where my arm hurt.
但我設法讓他知道我的手臂哪里疼。
He asked me to go into a room,had me lie down on a bed, and went to work.
他讓我走進一個房間,躺在床上,然后給我針灸。
In the next room, I learned a woman dancer was also getting a treatment.
我得知隔壁房間也有一位女舞者在接受治療。
As I lay there a while, I drifted into a dream-like state and fantasized about what she looked like.
當我躺在那里的時候,我進入了夢幻狀態,幻想著她的樣子。
Acupuncturists today are as likely to be found on Park Avenue as on Mott Street.
如今,在公園大道和莫特街都能找到針灸師的身影。
In all, there are an estimated 10,000 acupuncturists in the country.
據估計,中國總共有1萬名針灸師。
Nowadays, a lot of medical doctors have learned acupuncture techniques; so have a number of dentists.
如今,很多醫生都學會了針灸療法,所以有很多牙醫。
Reason? Patient demand. Few, though, can adequately explain how acupuncture works.
為什么針刺療法在美國會越來越受歡迎?原因就在于患者的需求。然而,很少有人能充分解釋針灸的原理。
Acupuncturists may say that the body has more than 800 acupuncture points: A life force called qi circulates through the body.
針灸師可能會說人體有800多個穴位:一種叫做氣的力量在體內循環。
Points on the skin are energetically connected to specific organs, body structures and systems.
身體上的穴位積極地與特定的器官、身體結構及系統相連,
Acupuncture points are stimulated to balance the circulation of qi.
通過刺激穴位從而平衡氣的流通。
"The truth is, though acupuncture is at least 2,200 years old, nobody really knows what's happening,"
“事實是,盡管針灸至少有2200年的歷史,但沒有人真正了解針灸。”
says Paul Zmiewski, a Ph.D. in Chinese studies who practices acupuncture in Philadelphia.
中國針灸研究博士,現在在費城實踐的保羅·茲米耶夫斯基說道。
After five treatments, there has been dramatic improvement in my arm,and the pain is a fraction of what it was.
經過五次治療后,我的手臂疼痛感有了明顯的改善,疼痛范圍變小了。
The mainly silent Dr. Gong finally even offered a diagnosis for what troubled me. "Pinched nerve," he said.
沉默寡言的龔醫生最終給出一個診斷,“神經緊張,”他說。
Questions 19 to 21 are based on the recording you have just heard.
根據你剛才聽到的錄音回答19-21題
19.What does the speaker find especially strange?
問題19:說話者覺得什么特別奇怪?
20.Why did the speaker go see Dr. Gong?
問題20:為什么說話者去找龔博士?
21.What accounts for the growing popularity of acupuncture in the United States according to the speaker?
問題21:根據說話者描述,針灸在美國越來越受歡迎的原因是什么?