Recording Three
錄音三
We've had fifty years of progress since that landmark Surgeon General's report back in 1964.
自1964年,衛生局局長發表報告之后的50年,我們取得了很大進展。
Over these years incredible things have taken place.
在過去的這些年,美國發生了巨大的變化。
Our society has changed—changed in terms of tobacco use, in terms of its acceptance of smoking in public establishments, in restaurants, in bars.
我們的社會發生了改變——改變了對煙草的使用,也改變了在公共場所、飯店、酒吧吸煙的接受度。
So things have really changed for the better.
所以吸煙的狀況日漸好轉。
In addition, smoking rates have come down in the United States.
而且美國的吸煙比率已經降低了。
We went from 43 percent of adult smokers in the United States to 18 percent currently.
美國之前成年吸煙者的比例是43%,現在降到了18%。
So that's really made incredible headway, yet I have to emphasize the battle is not over, the war is not over.
我們取得了極大的進展,但是我必須強調:這場對抗煙草的戰役還沒有結束,斗爭還在繼續。
Eighteen percent of American adults who are still smoking, basically 40 million people in our population.
18%的美國成年人還在吸煙,也就是說還有4千萬美國人在吸煙。
That being said we have to realize also that of that whole group, we're going to have roughly a half million people every year dying from smoking related diseases.
每年有將近50萬人死于由吸煙引起的疾病,這也是我們必須要意識到的一點。
So although we've made progress in a half century the reality is we still have a lot of work to do.
雖然這半個世紀以來,我們已經取得了進展,但現實情況是我們還有很多工作要做。
So, you know, we increasingly see tough advertisements on the air against smoking.
你知道,廣播中反對吸煙的廣告越來越多。
These ads are working.
這些廣告起到了作用。
In particular, the CDC the Center for Disease Control and Prevention came up with a series of advertisements from former smokers called TIPS.
尤其是,疾病防控中心從曾經的吸煙者身上想出了一系列被稱作是“小貼士”的廣告。
And that really was quite effective in terms of reducing the number of smokers.
這些廣告在減少吸煙者人數方面確實是非常有效的。
In addition, there's various policies that need to be implemented and further implemented in order to make us a tobacco free society.
另外,為了造就一個無煙社會,我們需要實施一些政策并進一步落實。
So we really have to work at the idea of using media, using those advertisements.
我們需要想法利用媒體來宣傳禁煙廣告。
We have to look at really concentrating on the youth of America to make it more difficult to actually get cigarettes.
我們要集中精力讓美國的青少年難以接觸到香煙。
And in addition we have to look at the idea of pricing cigarettes appropriately so that ultimately it becomes a hardship to use those products.
我們還要考慮給香煙適當定價,以使香煙成為難以享用的商品。
So, let's talk a little bit about packaging those products.
那么,我們就來談談香煙的包裝。
Other countries have much more graphic detail of the potential dangers of smoking.
其他國家在包裝上詳細繪畫了吸煙潛在的危險。
We're currently working closely; the office of the Surgeon General is working closely with the Food and Drug Administration, specifically the Center for Tobacco Products
我們正在緊密合作,衛生局局長辦公室和食品藥物監督局,尤其是煙草制品中心正在密切合作。
and are reanalyzing the whole row of the idea of the warning labels and the idea of how graphic they should be,
我們正在重新分析所有警示語的設定以及如何更加形象地繪制圖像。
and so there will probably be more information coming out on this in the near future.
不久之后,香煙的包裝上會出現更多的信息。
Questions 23 to 25 are based on the recording you have just heard.
問題23-25是基于剛剛你所聽到的那段錄音。
Question 23 What is the number of smokers in America?
問題23:美國煙民的數量是多少?
Question 24 What measures can be taken to make it harder to get cigarettes?
問題24:我們應該采取什么樣的措施來使人們難以得到香煙?
Question 25 What institution does the speaker most likely come from?
問題25:說話人很可能是來自哪個機構?
譯文屬可可原創,僅供學習和交流使用,未經允許不得轉載