Conversation Two
對話二
W: Hello, I'm here with Frederick.
女:大家好,今天我要和弗雷德里克聊聊。
Now Fred, you went to university in Canada?
弗雷德里克,你是在加拿大念的大學?
M: Yeah, that's right.
男:是的。
W: OK, and you have very strong views about universities in Canada. Could you please explain?
女:好的,那你很了解加拿大的大學。你能介紹一下嗎?
M: Well, we don't have private universities in Canada. They're all public.
男:加拿大沒有私立大學,全是公立的。
All the universities are owned by the government, so there is the Ministry of Education in charge of creating the curriculum for the universities
所有大學都是政府運營的,加拿大教育部負責大學課程的設置,
and so there is not much room for flexibility.
所以沒有太多靈活變通的空間。
Since it's a government operated institution, things don't move very fast.
大學是政府運營的機構,事情進展的速度不會太快。
If you want something to be done, then their staff do not have so much incentive to help you because he's a worker for the government.
如果你想做件事,工作人員沒有太大的積極性去幫助你,因為他是為政府工作的。
So I don't think it's very efficient.
我認為這樣就導致效率不太高。
However, there are certain advantages of public universities, such as the fees being free. You don't have to pay for your education.
不過公立大學也有優點,比如學費免費。你不用交教育費用。
But the system isn't efficient, and it does not work that well.
不過這種體系不僅效率低,而且效果不太好。
W: Yeah, I can see your point, but in the United States we have many private universities, and I think they are large bureaucracies also.
女:我明白你的觀點,我們美國有很多私立大學,我認為私立大學也是龐大的官僚機構。
Maybe people don't act that much differently, because it's the same thing working for a private university.
工作人員的行為看起來沒什么不同,因為為私立大學工作沒什么不一樣的。
They get paid for their job. I don't know if they're that much more motivated to help people.
他們通過工作獲得薪水。我不知道他們在幫助別人時是否有積極性。
Also, we have a problem in the United States that usually only wealthy kids go to the best schools and it's kind of a problem actually.
美國的問題是,只有有錢人家的孩子才能去最好的學校上學,這是問題所在。
M: I agree with you. I think it's a problem because you're not giving equal access to education to everybody.
男:我同意你的看法。我認為這的確是個問題,因為這樣沒有讓所有人享有同等的受教育權利。
It's not easy, but having only public universities also might not be the best solution.
這個問題不容易解決,不過我覺得只設有公立大學而沒有私立大學可能并不是最好的解決方法。
Perhaps we can learn from Japan where they have a system of private and public universities.
或許我們可以像日本學習,他們既有公立大學又有私立大學的教育體系。
Now, in Japan, public universities are considered to be the best.
日本的公立大學被認為是最好的學校。
W: Right. It's the exact opposite in the United States.
女:是的。這與美國的情況完全相反。
M: So, as you see, it's very hard to say which one is better.
男:可見,很難說哪種體系更好。
W: Right, a good point.
女:對,你說的沒錯。
Questions 5 to 8 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
問題5-8是基于剛才你所聽到的這段對話的。
Question 5: What does the woman want Frederick to talk about?
問題5:這位女士想讓弗雷德里克聊聊什么?
Question 6: What does the man say about the curriculum in Canadian universities?
問題6:對于加拿大大學的課程,男士都說了些什么?
Question 7: On what point do the speakers agree?
問題7:兩位說話者都贊同的觀點是什么?
Question 8: What point does the man make at the end of the conversation?
問題8:對話最后男士得出了什么結論?
譯文屬可可原創,僅供學習和交流使用,未經允許不得轉載