Ever lose your ability to taste during a cold, because your nose is stuffed up?
有沒有過感冒時鼻子阻塞失去味覺的經歷?
That's because the nose is intimately involved with taste.
那是因為鼻子同味覺有著緊密的聯系。
When you chew, flavor compounds from the food may enter the back of your mouth.
當你在咀嚼食物時,食物的混合氣味會進入嘴的后部。
And when you breathe out, you carry some of those flavor compounds up into your nasal cavity.
當你呼氣時,這些混合氣味就會進入你的鼻腔。
"As children we basically learn, the first lesson of table manners is to keep the mouth closed while chewing,
“孩提時代,我們所學習的基本餐桌禮儀的第一課便是咀嚼的時候要閉著嘴巴,保
and you also want to breathe smoothly."
持呼吸順暢。”
Randy, a mechanical engineer at Penn State said,
賓夕法尼亞州立大學的機械工程師蘭迪說道,
"I think this is not only because it's polite,
“我認為這樣的餐桌禮儀不僅僅是出于禮貌,
but also because you can smell the food much better if you can breathe smoothly."
呼吸順暢還能讓我們更好地聞到食物的香味。”
Smell contributes to taste by this "backdoor".
嗅覺通過“鼻后嗅覺”輔助味覺。
And it turns out our airways are particularly tuned to enhance that effect.
事實證明我們的呼吸道增強了這種效果。
Randy and his colleagues 3D-printed a model of a woman's airway.
蘭迪和同事通過3D技術打印出女性呼吸道的模型。
To track airflow, they mixed water with special particles and pumped it through the model, filming the results.
為了追蹤氣流流向,他們在水中加入特殊粒子并將水從模型中抽出,最后再將結果拍攝下來。
They found that when you breathe in, that inward airflow actually forms a curtain at the back of your mouth,
結果發現,吸氣時,向內的氣流會在口腔后部
blocking food particles from getting into the lungs, which is a good thing.
形成一道屏障防止食物顆粒吸入肺部,這是件好事。
And when you breathe out, air swirls through that cavity in the back of the mouth,
呼氣時,氣流會在口腔后部形成漩渦,
sweeping up those particles and delivering them right to the nasal cavity, where you can smell them.
將有氣味的食物顆粒一并送入鼻腔,因此你才能聞到食物的香氣。
There is a way to destroy this well-tuned system: the effect's mined if you're really huffing and puffing.
還有一種方法可以破壞這樣的調節系統:當你呼吸急促時,這樣的系統就會被打亂。
Meaning if you're wolfing down your food, gasping for air,
進食時若狼吞虎咽,大喘粗氣,
that breathing actually delivers more of those food molecules into your lungs and fewer into the nasal cavity.
那么紊亂的呼吸系統會將更多的食物顆粒送入肺中,只有少量食物才會進入鼻腔。
In other words, your mother was right all along: keep your mouth shut and don't wolf down your food.
換言之,這證明了媽媽的話才是真理:吃飯緊閉嘴巴,切忌狼吞虎咽。
It'll cut the chances of choking, and enhance the taste of the meal.
這樣才能減少噎住的風險,讓食物變得更美味。
Question 20. How does Randy explain children' first lesson of table manners?
問題20 蘭迪如何介紹孩提時期學到的第一課餐桌禮儀?
Question 21. What's the result of Randy's experiment?
問題21 下列哪一項符合蘭迪的試驗結果?
Question 22. What is the case that one is possible to get choked according to the lecture?
問題22 吃飯時,什么情況下容易被食物噎住?
譯文屬可可原創,僅供學習和交流使用,未經允許不得轉載