Do you think there's discrimination against women in England today?
你覺得現在英國存在對女性的歧視嗎?
Certainly, and not just in education and work either, in many other fields as well.
當然有啊,而且對女性的歧視還不只是存在于教育和工作中,也存在于其他很多領域。
The tax situation for women is very unfair, for example.
比如稅收格局就對女性很不公平。
Are women better off in other countries then?
那么女性在其他國家情況是不是更幸福一些呢?
It depends on the country.
要看是什么國家。
There's certainly much less discrimination in Scandinavia, and maybe in America, too.
在斯堪的納維亞,對女性的歧視當然少一些,在美國情況可能也還好。
Do you think the position of English women will improve?
你覺得英國女性的境遇會有所改善嗎?
In some ways, it will, of course.
某些方面肯定會變得更好的。
I'm sure more women will go out to work in the next 20 years.
能肯定的是,在接下來的20年里,會有越來越多的女性外出工作。
But women have a much greater problem than this to solve.
但是女性所面臨的問題,不僅限于此。
What's that?
是什么問題呢?
The problem of men's attitudes.
是男性對待女性的態度。
We can earn more money in the future, but I'm not sure we can change men's attitudes.
我們女人以后可以掙更多的錢,但我們卻不一定能改變男人看待我們的態度。
You see, most men really think that women are inferior.
要知道,大多數男人打心眼里覺得女人就是低人一等。
Maybe we are physically weaker, but I don't think this means we are inferior.
也許從體格上來說,女性的確弱一些,但這并不意味著我們就遜色于男人。
Then there's another problem.
而且還存在另外一個問題。
Yes?
什么問題?
The problem of women's attitudes.
是女性的態度。
Lots of women are unhappy with their present situation, but most of them probably don't want to fight for change.
很多女性對當前的處境并不滿意,但是可能大多數女性并不想努力謀求改變。
It could be that the women's liberation movement has to spend more time changing women's attitudes than it spends in changing men's.
比起改變男性的態度,婦女解放運動可以需要花更多時間來改變女性自己的態度。
One last question, some supporters of the woman's liberation movement believed that marriages should be abolished. You agree?
還有最后一個問題,有一些婦女解放運動的擁護者覺得應該廢除婚姻。你同意這種觀點么?
No, I don't. It can't happen.
不,我并不同意。這根本不可能。
What may and should happen is that we teach men to spend more time looking after children and doing housework.
可能出現,也將會出現的情況是,我們女人引導男人多照看照看小孩,多做做家務。