Growing Old and Gray
成人、漸老
When you were 19, she paid your college tuition, drove you to campus, carried your bags.
你19歲,大學學費她買單,扛著包開車送你到學校。
You thanked her by saying good-bye outside the dorm so you wouldn't be embarrassed in front of your friends.
你報答她,在宿舍門外說再見,為的是不在朋友面前現大眼。
When you were 20, she asked whether you were seeing anyone.
你20歲,她問你是否在約會。
You thanked her by saying, “It's none of your business.”
你報答她,對她說,“這事不管不行嗎!”
When you were 21, she suggested certain careers for your future.
你21歲,她為你將來事業提建議。
You thanked her by saying, “I don't want to be like you.”
你報答她,對她說,“我才不愿學你樣!”
When you were 22, she hugged you at your college graduation.
你22歲,大學畢業典禮上,她伸手把你緊擁抱。
You thanked her by asking whether she could pay for a trip to Europe.
你報答她,問她能否掏錢讓你到歐洲逛一趟。
When you were 23, she gave you furniture for your first apartment.
你23歲,她為你第一套公寓置家具。
You thanked her by telling your friends it was ugly.
你報答她,告訴朋友家具的模樣丑。
When you were 24, she met your fiance10 and asked about your plans for the future.
你24歲,她遇到你的未婚夫,問你們將來何打算。
You thanked her by glaring and growling, “Mom, please!”
你報答她,對她怒目加咆哮,“媽……,得了吧,求你啦!”
When you were 25, she helped to pay for your wedding, and she cried and told you how deeply she loved you.
你25歲,她花錢幫你籌辦婚禮,哭訴深深愛著你。
You thanked her by moving halfway across the country.
你報答她,安家離她千萬里。
When you were 30, she called with some advice on the baby.
你30歲,她打來電話為寶寶撫養提忠告。
You thanked her by telling her, “Things are different now.”
你報答她,告訴她,“如今情況不同啦!”
When you were 40, she called to remind you of a relative's birthday.
你40歲,她打電話把醒提,親戚的生日匆忘記。
You thanked her by saying you were “really busy right now.”
你報答她,說你“實在忙得不用提。”
When you were 50, she fell ill and needed you to take care of her.
你50歲,她病倒需要你照顧。
You thanked her by reading about the burden parents become to their children.
你報答她,念叨父母成負擔。
And then one day she quietly died.
后來有一天,她悄悄地去了。
And everything you never did came crashing down like thunder.
突然間,你該做未做的事,仿佛霹靂,在你耳邊炸響。
“Rock me baby, rock me all night long.”
“搖啊搖,搖我這個小寶寶,一夜到天亮。”
“The hand who rocks the cradle...may rock the world”.
“搖搖籃的手啊……可以搖世界。”
Let us take a moment of the time just to pay tribute and show appreciation to the person called mom though some may not say it openly to their mother. There's no substitute for her. Cherish every single moment. Though at times she may not be the best of friends, may not agree to our thoughts, she is still your mother!!!She will be there for you...to listen to your woes, your braggings, your frustations, etc. Ask yourself...have you put aside enough time for her, to listen to her “blues” of working in the kitchen, her tiredness? Be tactful, loving and still show her due respect though you may have a different view from hers. Once gone, only fond memories of the past and also regrets will be left.
讓我們花一小會兒時間,對那個叫“媽”的人表示敬意,表達感謝,雖然有些人當著面說不出口。媽媽是不可替代的。珍惜與她在一起的每一時刻吧。雖然有時候,她可能不是我們最好的朋友,可能不同意我們的想法,但媽媽就是媽媽!!!她始終陪伴你身邊,聽你的傷心事,聽你吹大牛,聽你把沮喪傾訴……。捫心自問,你是否曾經抽出過足夠的時間陪伴她,聽她講圍著灶臺轉的“傷心事”,講她也會疲勞???就算你與她意見不一,也要委婉,充滿愛心,對她表示出應有的尊敬。一旦她去了,剩下的就只有對過去歲月的美好回憶,還有就是終生的遺憾。
Don't take for granted the things closest to your heart. Love her more than you love yourself. Life is meaningless without her ...
不要以為,與你心最近,你就理所應得。
愛她,要甚于愛你自己。
生命中沒有了她,將了無意義……