16.all told 合計;總之
此語原義為“總計,合計”,引申為“總之”。如:All told,it was a great credit to them.(總之,這給他們大大增了光。)此語同in all同義。
A: How many people attended today’s meeting? 有多少人參加了今天的會議?
B: There were seventeen of us at the meeting, all told. 一共有十七個人。
A: Issue an announcement that if somebody doesn’t attend meeting next time, his or her bonus will be deducted. 發布一則通知,就說如果有人下一次不參加會議,他或她的獎金全扣。
B: Yes. 好的。
17.all wet 搞錯了
wet原義為“濕的”,干活常把手弄濕,指某人“沒經驗的”。該習語多見于美國俚語,意為“大錯特錯,胡說,瞎扯”。
A: I made a reservation two days ago. My name is David Johnson. 我前天在這兒預訂了房間,我叫戴維約翰遜。
B: Reservation? What do you mean? 預定?什么意思?
A: I booked a single room here for tonight. 我定了一間今晚的單人房。
B: Oh! You’re all wet, actually. This is not a hotel. The hotel is the building across the road. 哦,你搞錯了。這不是旅館,旅館是路對過的那做樓。
18.an easy digging 輕而易舉的事
dig做動詞時有“集中精力于… 的意思”,往往用來指工作、學習。An easy digging指“學習輕松”,引申為“事情輕而易舉”。
A: Do you think we can nurse our business back to life? 你說我們能讓生意起死回生嗎?
B: It’s not an easy digging. We’ll have to rack our brain and think of some effective measures. 這可不是件容易事。我們得絞盡腦汁想出一些行之有效的辦法。
A: I seem to be at the end of my wits. I have got lost and don’t know where I’m going. 我可是黔驢技窮了。我有點茫然,不知道該干什么才好。
B: Never say die. The darkest hour is the nearest dawn. 別這么說,現在只是黎明前的黑暗。
19.any more 不再
此語用于否定句中,構成not … any more“不再”,與之同義的短語為not … any longer。與肯定句中的no more和no longer同義。區別在于not any longer和no longer都口語化。
A: I can’t take the job any longer. 我不能再干這份工作了。
B: If you need the money, you’ll just have to grin and bear it. 如果要想掙錢的話,你就得含笑忍辱。
A: I’d rather starve than suffer the torture of the beast! 我寧愿餓死也不受這份罪。
B: Don’t be childish and capricious. You want to change the world? No way, it is just the world that will change you. 別幼稚任性了。你想改變這個世界?決不可能的。只能是這世界改變你。
A: My God! The school life is really simple and free. But now I have it no more. 天呀!還是校園生活簡單自由,可我不再擁有它了。
20.as easy as one’s eye 很容易
該習語是一種非正規的口語表達方式,類似的表達方式還有:as easy as anything/as ABC/as falling off a log/as winkling。這些短語指的是“很容易”。
A: Money is hard to earn these days. 這年頭掙錢不容易。
B: To me, it’s as easy as my eye. 對我來說很容易。
A: You steal? Or rob? 去偷還是去搶?
B: Of course not. 當然不是。
v. 露齒而笑,(以咧嘴笑來)表示
n. 露齒