Woman:The motor industry may be having a hard time in some areas.
某些地區的汽車行業可能會遇到困難。
But at ALC, a small vehicle plant in the UK, business has never been better.
但英國的一家小汽車廠ALC的生意從來沒有這么好過。
I have with me today ALC's managing director, Michael Wright.
今天和我在一起的是ALC的總經理,邁克爾·萊特。
Michael, your company has a long history, doesn't it?
邁克爾,你們公司有著悠久的歷史,是嗎?
Man:Yes, ALC began life as a small workshop that specialised in fixing lorries that had broken down, before moving into making lorry components for garages doing repairs.
是的,ALC最初是一個小車間,專門修理壞的卡車,之后才轉為修理廠制造卡車零件。
Then later on the company went on to design and build special vehicles according to customers' requirements.
后來公司又根據客戶需求設計制造了專用車輛。
Woman:And when did you join the company?
你什么時候加入公司的?
Man:In the nineteen eighties after a career in engineering.
20世紀80年代,我在工程行業工作過一段時間。
I wanted something different and I'd always been interested in production, so I came in to manage that side of the business.
我想要經歷與眾不同的東西,而且我一直對生產很感興趣,所以我開始從事這方面的生意。
Sometime later a couple of colleagues invited me to become a director.
后來有幾個同事邀請我當主管。
Woman:What was the company like when you joined the board?
你剛加入董事會時,公司是什么樣子的?
Man:Well, we'd begun lorry production, but business was slow.
嗯,那時候我們已經開始生產卡車了,但業務發展緩慢。
Then one of our existing customers was considering offering us a much larger contract.
然后我們的一個老客戶想要和我們簽一份更大的合同。
Talks were just beginning with them when I began as a director.
我任職主管的時候,雙方才開始在業務上聯系。
It suited us perfectly because if they guaranteed us a lot of work, we could invest in new equipment.
這個特別適合我們公司的發展,因為如果他們能確保和我們合作,我們就可以投資引進新設備。
Woman:So what was your plan?
那你的計劃是什么?
Man:Well, I proposed working with our main competitor, so that instead of producing the whole vehicle ourselves,
我建議和我們的主要競爭對手合作,這樣我們就不用自己生產整個汽車了,
we could get some of the lorry parts from them and add our own special components here, to build lorries to suit this customer's requirements.
我們可以從他們那里得到一些卡車零件,加上我們自己的專用部件,就可以生產出符合客戶要求的卡車。
But I never thought it would be so successful we can now produce one vehicle every fifty-three minutes!
但我從沒想過它會如此成功,我們現在每53分鐘就可以生產一輛車!