Woman: ... And our studio guest today is Giles Milton, Operations Director at the National Weather Centre. Giles, welcome.
我們今天的演播嘉賓是國家氣象中心的運營總監賈爾斯·彌爾頓,賈爾斯,歡迎你。
Man: Thank you.
謝謝。
Woman: Giles, firstly, most people will know the Centre provides weather reports for TV and radio stations, but they're not your only 'customers', are they?
賈爾斯,首先,大多數人都知道國家氣象中心為電視和廣播電臺提供天氣預報,但你們的“客戶”不止這些,是嗎?
Man: Not by any means.
是的。
The Centre started out a hundred and fifty years ago, largely serving the shipping industry, but now it provides a whole range of services.
150年前國家氣象中心首次建成,主要為航運業提供服務,如今我們的服務涵蓋各個方面。
We've been helping supermarkets for some time to predict when to buy more stocks of ice cream, for example,
一段時間以來,我們一直在幫助超市預測何時買更多的冰淇淋,
when a heat wave's approaching. Our forecasts for administrators of health authorities help them predict when flu outbreaks might occur.
當酷熱來襲時,我們幫助衛生當局管理者預測流感爆發的時間。
That's something we've only just got off the ground. And there's also our long-standing industrial advisory service for farmers, fishermen and airlines.
我們剛剛起步,而且我們還為農民、漁民和航空公司提供長期行業咨詢服務。
Woman: A real industry, then! Two years ago, the Centre announced its plan to relocate.
那時候這算一個正當行業!兩年前,中心宣布了搬遷計劃。
What brought about that decision?
為什么搬遷?
Man: Well, our first premises were near London and were leased to us by the government,
我們的第一個選址是在倫敦附近,是政府租給我們的。
and we'd always expected to stay there. But the site offered no scope for desperately needed development,
我們一直希望能留在那里,但那個地方滿足不了中心迫切發展的需求,
and we had to do something.
我們必須得想辦法啊。
Although we were initially reluctant to borrow money to finance a relocation, there was no other choice.
雖然一開始我們不愿意借錢,但我們別無選擇。