In fact he went to the other extreme. Apple licensed the ARM architecture,
事實上,他走向了另一個極端。蘋果公司在獲得ARM構架授權的同時,
but it also bought a 150-person microprocessor design firm in Palo Alto, called P.A. Semi,
收購了帕洛奧圖一家150人的微處理器設計公司P.A.Semi,
and had it create a custom system-on-a-chip, called the A4,
并讓其設計一款定制的、名為A4的系統單芯片;
which was based on the ARM architecture and manufactured in South Korea by Samsung.
這款芯片基于ARM架構,是由三星公司在韓國制造的。
As Jobs recalled: At the high-performance end, Intel is the best.
喬布斯回憶道:在高性能方面,英特爾公司最好。
They build the fastest chip, if you don't care about power and cost.
他們制造的芯片迷度最快,如果你不在乎功耗和成本的話。
But they build just the processor on one chip, so it takes a lot of other parts.
但是他們的芯片上只有處理器,因此需要許多其他部件。
Our A4 has the processor and the graphics, mobile operating system, and memory control all in the chip.
我們的A4芯片將處理器、顯卡、移動操作系統和內存控制都集成于一個芯片之中。
We tried to help Intel, but they don't listen much.
我們曾想要幫助英特爾公司,但是他們不怎么聽我們的。
We've been telling them for years that their graphics suck.
多年來,我們都跟英特爾反映,他們的圖形芯片很差勁兒。
Every quarter we schedule a meeting with me and our top three guys and Paul Otellini.
每個季度,我和其他三名蘋果公司高管都會跟保羅·歐德寧開會。
At the beginning, we were doing wonderful things together.
開始的時候,我們一起做出了很棒的東西。
They wanted this big joint project to do chips for future iPhones.
他們希望這個聯合項目可以為今后的iPhone制作芯片。
There were two reasons we didn't go with them.
我們沒有繼續合作的原因有二。
One was that they are just really slow. They're like a steamship, not very flexible. We're used to going pretty fast.
一是他們真的很慢,就像蒸汽輪船一樣,不是很靈活,而我們習慣快速前進。
Second is that we just didn't want to teach them everything, which they could go and sell to our competitors.
二是我們不想把什么都教給他們,因為他們可能會把我們的東西賣給競爭對手。
According to Otellini, it would have made sense for the iPad to use Intel chips.
據歐德寧說,iPad本可以采用英特爾芯片。
The problem, he said, was that Apple and Intel couldn't agree on price. Also, they disagreed on who would control the design.
他表示,問題在于蘋果公司和英特爾公司無法談攏價格。此外,他們在誰來控制設計的問題上也存在分歧。
It was another example of Jobs's desire, indeed compulsion, to control every aspect of a product, from the silicon to the flesh.
而這也是喬布斯控制欲,確切地說是強迫癥的一個表現,他想要控制產品的每一個環節,從芯片到材料。