The desert didn't answer him for a few moments.
沙漠半晌沒有做聲。
Then it told him, "I'll give you my sands to help the wind to blow, but, alone, I can't do anything. You have to ask for help from the wind."
然后它對男孩說:“我可以為你奉上我的沙子,以便讓風刮起來。但我獨個兒做不成這件事。你請求風幫忙吧。”
A breeze began to blow. The tribesmen watched the boy from a distance, talking among themselves in a language that the boy couldn't understand.
一陣微風開始刮起來。軍官們遠遠地望著男孩,而男孩正講著一種他們聽不懂的語言。
The alchemist smiled.
煉金術士露出了微笑。
The wind approached the boy and touched his face.
風來到了男孩身邊,輕撫他的臉龐。
It knew of the boy's talk with the desert, because the winds know everything.
它聽到了男孩與沙漠的談話,風一向無所不知。
They blow across the world without a birthplace, and with no place to die.
它吹遍全世界,沒有起始之地,也沒有終結之處。
"Help me," the boy said. "One day you carried the voice of my loved one to me."
“請幫幫我。”男孩對風說,“有一天,我曾從你那里聽到了我心上人的聲音。”
"Who taught you to speak the language of the desert and the wind?"
“是誰教會了你講沙漠和風的語言?”
"My heart," the boy answered.
“是我的心。”男孩回答。
The wind has many names.
風有許許多多名字。
In that part of the world, it was called the sirocco, because it brought moisture from the oceans to the east.
在這里它被稱作西羅科風,因為它把水分從海洋帶到東方。
In the distant land the boy came from, they called it the levanter,
在遙遠的男孩的故鄉,它被稱作地中海東風,
because they believed that it brought with it the sands of the desert, and the screams of the Moorish wars.
因為人們相信它帶來了沙漠的塵土和摩爾人廝殺時的吶喊。
Perhaps, in the places beyond the pastures where his sheep lived, men thought that the wind came from Andalusia.
也許在更為遙遠的牧場上,人們會認為風起于安達盧西亞。
But, actually, the wind came from no place at all, nor did it go to any place; that's why it was stronger than the desert.
但是,風來無源起之地,去無消失之所,因而比沙漠威力更大。
Someone might one day plant trees in the desert, and even raise sheep there, but never would they harness the wind.
未來的某一天,人們可能會在沙漠里種樹,甚至養羊,但永遠控制不了風。
"You can't be the wind," the wind said. "We're two very different things."
“你不可能成為風。”風說,“我們的本質不同。”
"That's not true," the boy said. "I learned the alchemist's secrets in my travels.
“并非如此。”男孩說,“我跟你一起在世上漂泊的時候,了解了煉金術的秘密。
I have inside me the winds, the deserts, the oceans, the stars, and everything created in the universe.
在我身上融合了風、沙漠、海洋、星星,以及宇宙中的一切。
We were all made by the same hand, and we have the same soul.
我們都是由同一只手創造的,擁有同樣的靈魂。
I want to be like you, able to reach every corner of the world, cross the seas,
我想像你一樣,滲透進每一個角落,穿越大海,
blow away the sands that cover my treasure, and carry the voice of the woman I love."
吹開掩蓋著我那份財寶的沙土,把我心上人的聲音帶到我身邊。”
"I heard what you were talking about the other day with the alchemist," the wind said.
“那天我聽到了你跟煉金術士的談話,”風說道。
"He said that everything has its own personal legend. But people can't turn themselves into the wind."
“他說每件事物都有自己的天命。人不可能變成風。”
"Just teach me to be the wind for a few moments," the boy said.
“求你教我變成風吧,只要一會兒就行,”男孩說。
"So you and I can talk about the limitless possibilities of people and the winds."
“好讓我們能夠談談人和風的無限潛能。”