It is Lewis' words—"Freedom is the continuous action we all must take,
是劉易斯的那句話——“自由是我們所有人都必須采取的持久行動,
and each generation must do its part to create an even more fair,
每一代人都應當盡一份力,來創建一個更公平、
more just society"—that echo as the gas swallows me.
更公正的社會”——在毒氣吞噬我的時候一直回響在我耳邊。
I feel men crashing into me as they flee pepper bullets and fires from flash-bang grenades,
我感覺到無數人,無數想要逃離胡椒炮彈和致盲彈的火力攻擊,
dragging choking, bleeding bodies away,
拖著喘不上氣、流血的身體四處逃竄的人在擠壓我,
but I hold my ground because I know the law:
但我決定堅持自己的立場,因為我了解法律:
a federal injunction prohibits the use of gas unless the lives or safety of the public or the police are at risk,
聯邦禁令是禁止使用毒氣的,除非公眾或警察的生命或安全受到了威脅,
and that is obviously not the case here.
此時此刻顯然不屬于上述情況。
I listen and am prepared to obey dispersal orders from authorities, but they never come.
我聽從了,也準備好了服從當局的驅逐令,但我并未等到他們。
But I am also naively stunned by the suspension of my lifelong privilege.
然而,我還天真地被他們吊銷我享受了一輩子的特權驚呆了。
Those federal agents are the brothers-in-arms of men I love—
那些聯邦特工都是我愛的人——
my father the Navy submariner, my former father-in-law the disabled Marine,
我的父親是海軍潛艇兵,前岳父是傷殘海軍陸戰隊隊員,
the police officer I swooned over in my youth—and I am a white woman,
年輕時愛上的一位警察——的手足兄弟,我是一名白人女性,
the high school cheerleader those feds once fell for, the sorority girl they courted,
是那些聯邦調查局曾經迷戀過的高中啦啦隊隊長,他們追求過的聯誼會女孩,
the one person those officers truly referred to when they swore an oath to serve and protect.
是那些官員在宣誓效忠和保護時真正所指的人。
If they are willing to turn on me, to fire on me,
如果他們情愿背叛我,向我開火,
for finally breaking my silent complicity and standing with and for my Black neighbors,
就因為我終于打破了等同于助紂為虐的沉默,為我的黑人鄰居,和我的黑人鄰居站到了一起,
what havoc will be wreaked on the Black bodies left behind if I vacate this street?
那我要是離開了這條街,沒能逃走的黑人會遭受怎樣的噩運?
For a second the gas lifts, and it seems there are only a few women left,
剎那間,催淚瓦斯升騰起來,似乎只有幾個女性留了下來,
standing arm in arm in the yellow shirts those agents know mark us as mothers,
穿著黃色T恤的我們手挽著手,特工們知道,黃色T恤就代表著我們是一群母親,
just empty asphalt between us and the men some other mothers raised.
我們和被其他母親撫養長大的男人之間只剩下了空蕩蕩的柏油馬路。
And that is when they shoot us, point blank, with impact munitions.
就在這時,他們開始朝我們開槍,近距離地朝我們發射沖擊彈藥了。
The woman on my right falls forward; the woman on my left is struck in the head; I feel my bone break.
我右邊的女人向前倒下了;左邊的女人頭部被擊中了;我自己也感覺骨頭斷了。
My right ankle is encased in a bulky cast after a fall the previous week,
一周前,我剛因為摔傷右腳踝被裹上了厚厚的石膏,
and those American sons shoot my other foot out from under me.
美國之子們卻連我的另一只腳也沒有放過,他們從下面射中了我的腳。
Today, now that federal agents have withdrawn, our protests go on peacefully.
如今,聯邦特工已經撤退,我們的抗議活動仍在和平地進行著。
But America, be wary.
但是,美國啊,切莫大意。
Forget Portland at your peril.
忘記波特蘭是要付出代價的。
Everyone thinks they'd have joined the Resistance if they lived in 1940s Europe,
所有人都覺得,如果生活在20世紀40年代的歐洲,他們就一定會加入抵抗運動,
when we know that most stayed inside, served supper, tucked the children into bed with a kiss and a lie:
但我們知道,大多數人最終都只選擇了留在家里,端上晚餐,用親吻和謊言把孩子們哄上床:
"All is well, close your eyes."
“一切都很好,快閉上眼睛好好睡覺。”
Don't wait to be knocked off your feet.
別等著被他們撂倒。
It may be you they aim for next.
因為他們的下一個目標很可能就是你。
譯文由可可原創,僅供學習交流使用,未經許可請勿轉載。