14 years ago, I gave a commencement speech at another New Jersey school.
14年前,我在新澤西的另一所學校做了一場畢業演講。
Through the magic of Google search, I was able to do a "back to the future moment,"
通過谷歌搜索的魔力,我得以“回到未來時刻”,
looking back on my words to see if any of what I had to say to the class of 2001 stood up today.
回顧我之前所說的話,看看我不得不對2001屆學生說的那番話中,是否還有一些至今仍有道理。
Those words started out innocently enough, talking about new beginnings -- from kindergarten to high school to college.
那些話不知不覺就脫口而出了,談論人生中各種新的開始--從幼兒園到高中再到大學。
You can't remember what you had for breakfast yesterday
你們不記得昨天早餐吃了什么,
but I'm sure that you could remember the multitude of emotions that were running through you during those formative years,
但我相信你們會記得成長歲月里切身體會過的那些千思萬緒,
from sheer joy to anticipation to absolute fear.
從純粹的快樂到有所期待再到十足的恐懼。
And then, in a snap of a finger, it's all just memories in a scrapbook.
然后,彈指一揮間,這一切都成了剪貼簿中的回憶。
Our future starts in our past -- but it doesn't end there.
我們的未來始于我們的過去,但并不止步于過去。
In that speech I said to treat the workplace like school and keep learning.
在那場演講中,我說要把職場當成學校,要一直學習。
To be humble, and remain humble and remind yourself that no job is beneath you if you use it as a lesson.
為人要謙虛,并一直謙虛下去,還要提醒自己,只要把工作當成一堂課來對待,就不會有什么工作配不上你們。
Maybe you've mapped your life out:
也許你已經規劃了自己的人生藍圖:
A corner office at a Fortune 500 company, or a life in philanthropy, politics or even entertainment.
在一家世界500強公司的角落擁有一間辦公室,或者一生從事慈善事業、政治事業或娛樂事業。
Great! I say, "Go for it."
太棒了!我會說:“放手去做吧!”
But if you haven't -- that's OK too. Don't be embarrassed by indecision.
但如果你還沒有人生藍圖,那也沒關系。不要因為尚未決定而感到不好意思。