Today, Dr Ellsworth Wareham is preparing to perform open heart surgery
今天,Ellsworth Wareham醫生正在準備做一例心臟手術,
on a patient many years younger than himself.
病人要比他小許多歲。
There was no open heart surgery when I took my residency.
在我當主治醫師時,還沒有心臟手術。
I've seen open heart surgery right from the very beginning, so that's 37 years, I guess.
我很早就看到過心臟手術,我想是在37年前。
And I probably do three or four a week, something like that.
我每周大概做3到4例這樣的手術。
Do the patients know that a 92-year-old will be supervising?
病人知道是個92歲的老人在指導嗎?
I would hope not.
我不希望他知道。
I, I personally... am sort of less than anxious to let people know my age.
我自己倒不是過多地擔心讓別人知道我的年紀,
because there's a lot of incompetence associated with age.
因為有許多能力達不到是與年齡有關的。
I think the figure is at 85, 85 years of age,50 percent of people have Alzheimer,
我認為在85歲時,有50%的人會患上老年癡呆癥。
Dr Wareham's extraordinary longevity may not have anything to do with his genes.
Wareham醫生不平凡的長壽未必和他的基因有任何關系。
I don't have a particularly good heredity.
我沒有一個特別好的遺傳。
Three of my grandparents died at 72.
我的祖父母,外祖父母中有三個是在72歲是過世的。
Nobody in my family has lived to be my age.
我的家庭里,還沒有人活到我這樣的歲數。
The community living in Loma Linda have discovered a secret that's much easier to find than any gene.
在洛馬琳達這樣的社區里,已經發現了一個秘密,要比找什么基因容易得多。
Its effect is so powerful that it enables them to live longer than anyone else in the United States.
它是這樣有效,能夠使這里的人比美國其他地方的人更長壽。