Oh no, it got stuck. Isn't it comforting that even robots sometimes get stage fright?
哦不,它卡住了。連機器都會犯舞臺恐懼癥,是不是很讓人放松啊?
It just gets stuck a little bit. It's very human of them.
它只是有一點點卡住。非常人性化哦。
Oh wait, let's go back a little bit, and then … Isn't it a beautiful time to be alive?
等一下,我們倒回去一點。然后……活在這個時代真好,是吧?
So as much as my machines can seem like simple engineering slapstick,
我的機器看起來像是在用工程學做簡單的惡搞,
I realize that I stumbled on something bigger than that.
但我意識到我觸及到了一些比這更重要的事。
It's this expression of joy and humility that often gets lost in engineering,
制造機器時往往無法表現得開心或謙遜,
and for me it was a way to learn about hardware without having my performance anxiety get in the way.
對我而言,用這種方式學硬件,是不會受到表現焦慮癥干擾的。
I often get asked if I think I'm ever going to build something useful, and maybe someday I will.
經常有人問我,我以后會不會制作一些有用的東西,可能有一天我會。
But the way I see it, I already have because I've built myself this job
但我覺得我早已做到了,這份工作是我為自己創造出的。
and it's something that I could never have planned for, or that I could
這是我無法計劃出來的,或者
It's something that I could never have planned for. Instead it happened
這是我永遠也無法計劃出的。相反,這一切的發生
just because I was enthusiastic about what I was doing, and I was sharing that enthusiasm with other people.
只是因為我對這個工作充滿熱情,并且我在與他人分享我的熱情。
To me that's the true beauty of making useless things,
對于我,那就是制作無用機器最美的部分,
because it's this acknowledgment that you don't always know what the best answer is.
因為你已經承認,你不一定知道最好的答案是什么。
And it turns off that voice in your head that tells you that you know exactly how the world works.
它讓你不再盲目認為自己已經完全了解世界怎么運作。
And maybe a toothbrush helmet isn't the answer, but at least you're asking the question. Thank you.
可能一臺牙刷頭盔并不是標準答案,但至少你提出了問題。謝謝。