Having crossed the marsh, I saw a trace of white over the moor.
穿過沼澤我看到荒原上有一條白印子。
I approached it; it was a road or a track:
我向它走去,見是一條大路或是小徑,
it led straight up to the light, which now beamed from a sort of knoll,
直通那道正從樹叢中一個小土墩上射來的光,
amidst a clump of trees firs, apparently, from what I could distinguish of the character of their forms and foliage through the gloom.
在昏暗中從樹形和樹葉能分辨出,那顯然是杉木樹叢,
My star vanished as I drew near: some obstacle had intervened between me and it.
我一走近,我的星星便不見了,原來某些障礙把它和我隔開了。
I put out my hand to feel the dark mass before me:
我伸出手在面前一團漆黑中摸索。
I discriminated the rough stones of a low wall
我辨認出了一堵矮墻的粗糙石頭,
above it, something like palisades, and within, a high and prickly hedge. I groped on.
上面象是一道柵欄,里面是高而帶刺的籬笆。我繼續(xù)往前摸。
Again a whitish object gleamed before me: it was a gate -- a wicket; it moved on its hinges as I touched it.
那白色東西歪又在我面前閃光了,原來是一條門--一條旋轉門,我一碰便在鉸鏈上轉了起來。
On each side stood a sable bush-holly or yew.
門兩邊各有一叢黑黑的灌木--是冬青或是紫杉。