And I sank down where I stood, and hid my face against the ground.
我就在站立的地方頹然倒下,把頭埋進地里。
I lay still a while: the night-wind swept over the hill and over me, and died moaning in the distance;
我靜靜地躺了一會,夜風刮過小山,吹過我身上,嗚咽著在遠處消失,
the rain fell fast, wetting me afresh to the skin.
雨下得很大,重又把我澆透。
Could I but have stiffened to the still frost -- the friendly numbness of death -- it might have pelted on;
要是這么凍成了冰塊--那么友好地麻木而死--雨點也許還會那么敲擊著;
I should not have felt it; but my yet living flesh shuddered at its chilling influence. I rose ere long.
而我毫無感覺。可是我依然活著的肉體,在寒氣的侵襲下顫抖,不久我便站了起來。
The light was yet there, shining dim but constant through the rain.
那光仍在那邊,在雨中顯得朦朧和遙遠。
I tried to walk again: I dragged my exhausted limbs slowly towards it.
我試著再走,拖著疲乏的雙腿慢慢地朝它走去。
It led me aslant over the hill, through a wide bog, which would have been impassable in winter,
它引導我穿過一個寬闊的泥沼,從斜刺里上了山。要是在冬天,這個泥沼是沒法通過的,
and was splashy and shaking even now, in the height of summer.
就是眼下盛夏,也是泥漿四濺,一步一搖晃。
Here I fell twice; but as often I rose and rallied my faculties.
我跌倒了兩次,兩次都爬起來,振作起精神。
This light was my forlorn hope: I must gain it.
那道光是我幾乎無望的希望,我得趕到那里。